Grilled Eggplant and Red Pepper Wraps
with yogurt sauce / tomato cucumber salad
- Bell peppers, red - 3/4 lb
- Eggplants - 3/4 lb
- Lettuce, green leaf - 1/2 head, chopped
- Flatbreads, pita, or naan - 4
- Cheese, provolone - 8 slices
- Parsley - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/2 cup
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Parsley - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Shallots - 1/2 bulb, diced
- Tomatoes, cherry or grape - 1 cup, halved
- Cucumbers, medium - 2, diced
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Roast peppers and eggplants - Double if making Thursday’s meal. Heat grill or turn on your oven’s broiler. Core stem out of red peppers. Slice eggplants in half, lengthwise. Brush veggies lightly with some oil. Broil on a sheet pan or grill over direct heat until skins are blackened, ~6 minutes each side. Transfer eggplants to a cutting board. Place bell peppers in a mixing bowl and cover with a plate for ~5 minutes to steam off skins. Use a peeler to remove skin from eggplants. Once they are cool enough to touch, use fingers to peel skin off peppers. Roughly chop eggplants and peppers. (Check out this video for tips on roasting peppers.) (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Parsley (for both sauce and salad) / Shallots - Prep as directed. Combine the portion of parsley for salad and sauce. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make yogurt sauce - Combine parsley (the portion for the sauce) with yogurt, lemon juice, honey, mustard and cumin. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Lettuce / Tomatoes / Cucumbers - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Make salad by combining tomatoes, cucumbers, shallots and parsley (portion for the salad). Toss with vinegar and olive oil and season with some salt and pepper.
- Warm flatbreads according to package directions.
- Assemble wraps by spreading half the yogurt sauce on wraps and then filling them with cheese, lettuce, eggplants and peppers (remember to save half the eggplants and peppers if doubled for Thursday). Top with extra sauce (or serve it on the side for dipping).
- Serve wraps with salad on the side and enjoy!
I didn't have parsley and I added mint instead, which ended up being really tasty. I skipped the peeling stage because I was lazy and it still tasted good. Definitely a lighter meal but good flavor, especially with mint instead of parsley.0 Helpful
Not very filling0 Helpful
This was a snooze fest.0 Helpful
Not a fan of eggplant so I subbed in zucchini and yellow squash. I also added pancetta.0 Helpful
I substituted chicken thighs for eggplant. Cooked the chicken on the stove top with olive oil and an apple butter rub seasoning. Kept everything else in this recipe the same and it was very good!0 Helpful
Didn't love the yogurt sauce but really liked the roasted veggies0 Helpful