Coconut Crusted Tofu Salads
with avocados / almonds / oranges / honey mustard dressing
A coating of coconut gives these tofu strips a sweet flavor and crisp crust. Serve the tofu over a fresh salad or serve the salad on the side and dip strips in tangy honey mustard dressing!
- Tofu, extra firm (vacuum packed preferable) - 16 oz, sliced
- Flour, all-purpose - 1/2 cup
- Salt - 1 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1 tsp
- Eggs - 2
- Coconut, shredded (sweetened or unsweetened) - 1 cup
- Oil, cooking (use coconut oil for even more coconut flavor) - 2 Tbsp
- Lettuce, green leaf - 1/2 head, chopped
- Oranges - 2, segmented
- Avocados - 1, chopped
- Almonds, sliced - 1/4 cup
- Coconut tofu (ingredients listed separately) - ~12 slices
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 Tbsp
- Honey - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first. Slice into 1/2" / 1.3cm thick pieces . (Can be done up 1 day ahead)
- Make honey mustard dressing - Combine mustard, honey and vinegar. Add olive oil while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Lettuce - Chop lettuce. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Oranges / Avocados - Prep as directed and combine.
- Prep breading stations - Set out three shallow baking dishes or bowls. Combine flour, salt and pepper in the first dish. Whisk eggs in the second dish. Put coconut in the third dish.
- Heat a nonstick pan or skillet over medium heat. Add cooking oil to heated pan. (Note: Don't let the pan get too hot while cooking because the coconut will burn.)
- Working quickly (it's easiest to use your hands for this), coat tofu slices first in almond flour, then in egg, then in coconut, pressing coconut into the sides if it doesn't immediately stick. Gently place tofu in heated oil.
- Cook tofu strips without moving them, until the bottom turns golden brown, ~4 minutes. Turn to cook on all sides until deep golden brown, ~8 minutes total.
- Transfer tofu to a plate lined with paper towels.
- Gently toss lettuce with oranges, avocados and almonds. Top with tofu slices and drizzle salads with honey mustard dressing. (Alternatively, serve the salad on the side tossed with half the dressing. Dip tofu strips in the other half of dressing.) Enjoy!
My kids loved this! And we did too. I feel it's a better fit for a weekend meal, it does make a mess in the kitchen.0 Helpful
really tasty and pretty easy to whip up.0 Helpful
It was good but too much work for a weeknight. I had to cook the chicken pretty slowly so the coconut wouldn't burn but the chicken would be cooked through.0 Helpful
Instant favorite!!0 Helpful
The chicken coating burnt fairly easily, and I had to cook in batches. Really tasty though!0 Helpful
Another fave!0 Helpful