Coconut Crusted Chicken Salads
with avocados / almonds / oranges / honey mustard dressing
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb , sliced
- Flour, all-purpose - 1/2 cup
- Salt - 1 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1 tsp
- Eggs - 2
- Coconut, shredded (sweetened or unsweetened) - 1 cup
- Oil, cooking (use coconut oil for even more coconut flavor) - 2 Tbsp
- Lettuce, green leaf - 1/2 head , chopped
- Oranges - 2 , segmented
- Avocado - 1 , chopped
- Almonds, sliced - 1/4 cup
- Coconut chicken (ingredients listed separately) - ~12 slices
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 Tbsp
- Honey - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
Make honey mustard dressing - Combine mustard, honey and vinegar. Add olive oil while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Lettuce - Chop lettuce. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
Chicken - Slice chicken into strips. Season with some salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Prep breading stations - Set out three shallow baking dishes or bowls. Combine flour, salt and pepper in the first dish. Whisk eggs in the second dish. Put coconut in the third dish.
Working quickly (it's easiest to use your hands for this), coat chicken slices first in flour, then in egg, then in coconut, pressing coconut into the sides if it doesn't immediately stick. Gently place chicken in heated oil.
Cook chicken strips without moving them, until the bottom turns golden brown, ~4 minutes. Turn and cook on the other side until chicken is cooked through, ~3 minutes more.
Transfer chicken to a plate lined with paper towels.
Gently toss lettuce with oranges, avocados and almonds. Top with chicken slices and drizzle salads with honey mustard dressing. (Alternatively, serve the salad on the side tossed with half the dressing. Dip chicken strips in the other half of dressing.) Enjoy!