Chicken Philly Sandwiches
with arugula and plum side salad
Taking inspiration from the classic Philly cheesesteak, these warm chicken sandwiches are topped with sauteed peppers and onions and finished with melty provolone cheese.
Chicken Philly Sandwiches:
- Bell peppers, any color - 1 , sliced
- Onions - 1 , sliced
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb , chopped
- Italian seasoning - 1 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Cheese, provolone - 8 slices
- Hoagie or other sandwich rolls - 4
- Mayonnaise - 4 Tbsp
Arugula and Plum Side Salad:
- Plums (sub peaches) - 2 , sliced
- Arugula, baby - 5 oz
- Almonds, sliced - 1/4 cup
- Oil, olive - 2 tsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Bell peppers / Onions - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Chop chicken and tenderize with a fork. Season with Italian seasoning and some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Plums - Slice plums.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat a nonstick pan or wok over medium high heat. Add first part of cooking oil and then chicken to heated oil. Saute until chicken is cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes. Set chicken aside and return pan to heat.
- Add second part of cooking oil and then peppers and onions to heated oil. Saute until peppers and onions are tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add chicken to vegetables and remove pan from heat. Use your hands to break cheese into small pieces and place over hot chicken and vegetables (cheese should start to melt). Cover pan with a lid or foil to keep warm.
- Toast rolls.
- Toss plums, arugula and almonds in olive oil and vinegar. Top with black pepper.
- Assemble sandwiches by spreading both sides of rolls with mayonnaise and then adding chicken and pepper mixture.
- Serve sandwiches with salad on the side and enjoy!