Mexico | Mexican Breakfast Tortawith tomato and avocado salad
While some will tell you that Mexican Breakfast Tortas are the ultimate hearty breakfast, we love these egg-based sandwiches as a creative addition to the breakfast-for-dinner rotation. Simple no-prep toppings like refried beans and salsa make these quick, filling and delicious.
- Chives - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Onions - 1/2, chopped
- Cheese, cheddar - 1/2 cup, shredded
- Eggs - 4
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1/2 tsp
- Beans, refried (14oz / 397g) - 1 can
- Hamburger buns - 4
- Salsa, any type - 1/4 cup
- Shallots - 1 bulb, chopped
- Tomatoes, medium - 1, diced
- Avocados - 1, chopped
- Vinegar, sherry (sub red or white wine vinegar) - 1 tsp
- Chives / Onions / Cheese / Shallots - Prep and store in separate containers. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Tomatoes / Avocados - Prep as directed.
- Make salad - Combine tomatoes and avocados with shallots and vinegar. Season with some salt and pepper and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Eggs - Whisk eggs with salt and pepper.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add oil and the onions and smoked paprika to heated oil. Saute until tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Turn heat down to medium and add eggs. Scramble until eggs are cooked to your liking, about 2 to 3 minutes more. Stir in chives and cheese.
- Empty refried beans into a microwave-safe container. Heat according to instructions on can.
- Toast hamburger buns.
- Assemble sandwiches by spreading beans on both halves of hamburger buns. Top with eggs and salsa (or serve salsa on the side for dipping). Serve sandwiches with avocado and tomato salad on the side. Enjoy!
This meal has 22 reviews
Two of my favorite foods are eggs and refried beans. Never thought of putting them together. Loved the avocado and tomato salad also. The only thing I did different with this meal - I didn't assemble the eggs, bread and beans into a sandwich. I put the items on the plate and let the individual decide if they wanted a sandwich.
Added a lot of spice and salsa. Very good! Just had tomato and shallots and sliced almonds in a white balsamic dressing for the salad but it was still tasty.
I just can't get behind re-fried beans.
Made the paleo version for dinner, it was good but pretty basic. I don't follow a paleo diet so the leftovers were stuffed into some tortillas and frozen for breakfast burritos on the go. I enjoyed the frittata more stuffed in a burrito with cheese added. Paleo just isn't for me when it comes to eggs, I like mine with cheese.
Beans, cheese, and eggs on a roll.