Mexico | Mexican Breakfast Torta
with tomato and avocado salad
While some will tell you that Mexican Breakfast Tortas are the ultimate hearty breakfast, we love these egg-based sandwiches as a creative addition to the breakfast-for-dinner rotation. Simple no-prep toppings like refried beans and salsa make these quick, filling and delicious.
Mexican Breakfast Torta:
- Chives - 1 Tbsp , chopped
- Onions - 1/2 , chopped
- Cheese, cheddar - 1/2 cup , shredded
- Eggs - 4
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1/2 tsp
- Beans, refried (14oz / 397g) - 1 can
- Hamburger buns - 4
- Salsa, any type - 1/4 cup
Tomato and Avocado Salad:
- Shallots - 1 bulb , chopped
- Tomatoes, medium - 1 , diced
- Avocados - 1 , chopped
- Vinegar, sherry (sub red or white wine vinegar) - 1 tsp
- Chives / Onions / Cheese / Shallots - Prep and store in separate containers. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Tomatoes / Avocados - Prep as directed.
- Make salad - Combine tomatoes and avocados with shallots and vinegar. Season with some salt and pepper and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Eggs - Whisk eggs with salt and pepper.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add oil and the onions and smoked paprika to heated oil. Saute until tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Turn heat down to medium and add eggs. Scramble until eggs are cooked to your liking, about 2 to 3 minutes more. Stir in chives and cheese.
- Empty refried beans into a microwave-safe container. Heat according to instructions on can.
- Toast hamburger buns.
- Assemble sandwiches by spreading beans on both halves of hamburger buns. Top with eggs and salsa (or serve salsa on the side for dipping). Serve sandwiches with avocado and tomato salad on the side. Enjoy!