Jamaica | Quinoa Bowls with Jerk Plantains
and black beans / corn / avocados / pineapple dressing
Sweet and spicy flavors balance out these Jamaican-inspired quinoa bowls with avocado, black beans, corn and a sweet, tangy pineapple dressing. Smarts: Feel free to adjust the spice to your preference by seeding the jalapenos and adding more or less to your taste.
Jamaican Quinoa Bowls with Beans and Corn:
- Quinoa, dried - 1 cup
- Beans, black (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Corn kernels, fresh or frozen - 1 cup
- Avocados - 1 , sliced
- Cilantro - 2 Tbsp , leaves torn
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
Creamy Pinneaple Dressing:
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1/2 , seeded if you want less heat
- Pineapple cubes - 1/2 cup
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/2 cup
- Limes - 2 tsp , juice of
- Plantains, large - 3 , peeled and sliced (ripe plantains resemble bananas but should be very dark brown on the outside)
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Jerk seasoning - 3 tsp (sub Cajun seasoning)
- Cook quinoa - Combine quinoa with 2x the amount of water (or stock if you prefer) in a saucepan. Add in some salt. Bring to a boil covered. Lower heat, keep covered, and cook until liquid is absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make dressing - Combine jalapenos, pineapple cubes, yogurt and lime juice in a blender. Blend until smooth. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Plantains - Peel and slice plantains.
- Beans / Corn - Drain and rinse beans. If using frozen corn, combine with beans and run under warm water to defrost. If using fresh corn, shave kernels off cobs.
- Avocados / Cilantro - Prep as directed
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat a nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add oil (the portion for plantains) and then plantain slices to heated oil. (Cook in batches if your pan isn't large enough to hold all of the slices without overlapping.) Sear plantains until golden brown and tender, 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Just before the plantains finish cooking, season on both sides with Jerk seasoning.
- Set plantains aside and return pan to heat. Add second part of oil and then beans and corn. Saute until corn starts to char and blacken in spots, 3 to 4 minutes.
- If quinoa was made ahead, reheat in the microwave.
- Assemble bowls by topping quinoa with plantains, beans and corn, avocado slices and cilantro. Drizzle pineapple dressing over top and enjoy!