Black Bean Sloppy Joeswith tri-color salsa
This is our vegetarian take on a Sloppy Joe. Filled with black beans and veggies, this has all the flavor and heartiness of the original. Paired with a crunchy salsa, this vegetarian meal is sure to please. Don't worry if you have to lick your fingers - the sloppier, the better!
- Garlic - 2 cloves, minced
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1, diced
- Onions, red - 1 cup, diced
- Bell peppers, red - 1, diced
- Pickles (opt) - 2, sliced
- Cilantro - 12 sprigs, leaves of
- Beans, black (14oz / 397g) - 1 can
- Burger buns - 4
- Oil, cooking - 2 tsp
- Coriander - 1 tsp
- Cumin - 1 tsp
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Crushed tomatoes, fire-roasted preferably (14oz / 397g) - 1 can
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Sugar - 1/4 tsp
- Onions, red - 1/4 cup, diced
- Bell peppers, red - 1, diced
- Corn kernels, fresh off the cob or frozen - 1 cup
- Zucchini - 8 oz, diced
- Cilantro - 3 Tbsp, chopped
- Lime juice - 3 Tbsp
- Garlic / Jalapenos (opt) / Red onions (for sloppy joes and salsa) / Red peppers (for sloppy joes and salsa) / Corn (if using fresh) / Pickles (opt) - Prep as directed. Garlic, jalapenos, plus Sloppy Joes’ portion of red onions and red peppers can be combined. Salsa’s portion of red onions and red peppers can also be combined. (Can be done up 4 days ahead)
- Zucchini - Prep as directed. Dice as small as you can, ~0.5cm / 0.2” wide. Can be stored with red onions and red peppers. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Cilantro (for Sloppy Joes and salsa) - Prep as directed.
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Make salsa - If using frozen corn, heat for ~45 seconds in microwave to defrost (or submerge quickly in warm water and drain). Toss zucchini, red onions and red peppers (just the salsa’s portion), corn, and cilantro with lime juice. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C. Separate buns and arrange on a sheet pan.
- Heat a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add oil and then garlic, jalapeno, red onions, and red pepper to heated oil with a sprinkle of salt. Saute for ~5 minutes.
- Add beans with coriander, cumin, and paprika. Saute for ~1 minute.
- Transfer buns into oven and toast for ~4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, soy sauce, and sugar to saute pan. Saute for another 3 to 5 minutes.
- Spoon Sloppy Joe filling into buns and top with sliced pickles and some cilantro leaves.
- Season salsa to taste with salt and hot sauce (if desired) and enjoy with Sloppy Joes.
This meal has 26 reviews
Added some melted cheddar cheese to the bun!
This came out great. Made filling only and served on buns with green beans on the side.
Used tomato paste in place of crushed - loved this! Also cooked bell peppers, zucchini and sliced mushrooms in the pan w the mix, skipped the salsa.
Added a slice of cheese to the sloppy joes and it completely made the dish. These were tasty and quick.
Hubby loved this! I questioned the raw zucchini at first in the salsa, but it was really good. It was a little messy (thus the name) but my bun couldn't hold up all the goodness so it was a bit open-faced and eaten with a fork. Reminded me of a chili.
I had a loaf of regular ol white bread that was on its last good day so I made open faced joes with a layer of lettuce, cilantro and peppered pickles before heaping on the toppings. I couldn't find fire roasted tomatoes so I added a dash of liquid smoke. I also subbed cucumber for zucchini in the salsa. Super super tasty and healthy.