Black Bean Sloppy Joes
with tri-color salsa
This is our vegetarian take on a Sloppy Joe. Filled with black beans and veggies, this has all the flavor and heartiness of the original. Paired with a crunchy salsa, this vegetarian meal is sure to please. Don't worry if you have to lick your fingers - the sloppier, the better!
- Garlic - 2 cloves, minced
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1, diced
- Onions, red - 1 cup, diced
- Bell peppers, red - 1, diced
- Pickles (opt) - 2, sliced
- Cilantro - 12 sprigs, leaves of
- Beans, black (14oz / 397g) - 1 can
- Burger buns - 4
- Oil, cooking - 2 tsp
- Coriander - 1 tsp
- Cumin - 1 tsp
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Crushed tomatoes, fire-roasted preferably (14oz / 397g) - 1 can
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Sugar - 1/4 tsp
- Onions, red - 1/4 cup, diced
- Bell peppers, red - 1, diced
- Corn kernels, fresh off the cob or frozen - 1 cup
- Zucchini - 8 oz, diced
- Cilantro - 3 Tbsp, chopped
- Lime juice - 3 Tbsp
- Garlic / Jalapenos (opt) / Red onions (for sloppy joes and salsa) / Red peppers (for sloppy joes and salsa) / Corn (if using fresh) / Pickles (opt) - Prep as directed. Garlic, jalapenos, plus Sloppy Joes’ portion of red onions and red peppers can be combined. Salsa’s portion of red onions and red peppers can also be combined. (Can be done up 4 days ahead)
- Zucchini - Prep as directed. Dice as small as you can, ~0.5cm / 0.2” wide. Can be stored with red onions and red peppers. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Cilantro (for Sloppy Joes and salsa) - Prep as directed.
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Make salsa - If using frozen corn, heat for ~45 seconds in microwave to defrost (or submerge quickly in warm water and drain). Toss zucchini, red onions and red peppers (just the salsa’s portion), corn, and cilantro with lime juice. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C. Separate buns and arrange on a sheet pan.
- Heat a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add oil and then garlic, jalapeno, red onions, and red pepper to heated oil with a sprinkle of salt. Saute for ~5 minutes.
- Add beans with coriander, cumin, and paprika. Saute for ~1 minute.
- Transfer buns into oven and toast for ~4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, soy sauce, and sugar to saute pan. Saute for another 3 to 5 minutes.
- Spoon Sloppy Joe filling into buns and top with sliced pickles and some cilantro leaves.
- Season salsa to taste with salt and hot sauce (if desired) and enjoy with Sloppy Joes.
The salsa had too much lime for my taste. -- Had leftover bean mixture on a bed of rice. Delicious!!!0 Helpful
Pretty good and filling.0 Helpful
Not our favorite0 Helpful
A new family favorite. And so easy/quick. Skipped the salsa in favor of roasted zucchini (our toddlers favorite.) added splash of balsamic to SJ mix just b/c. Adding to regular rotation!0 Helpful
Served like a chilli as someone else did & on some rice as I don't like eating sloppy joes. Put a bit cheese on top and all mixed together was amazing. Made the bread into garlic bread.0 Helpful
Sloppy joes were delicious. Just skip the salsa.0 Helpful