Chipotle Guacamole Burgers
with fig salad and adobo dressing
Smoky chipotles and adobo sauce give these burgers depth and sophistication, and guacamole makes it an all around crowd pleaser. I'm pairing our Latin-inspired burgers with a fig salad that I had at one of my favorite Mexican restaurants. We use an adobo-based vinaigrette for a hint of smokiness to contrast against the sweet figs. If you can't find figs, use grapes instead. If you want to learn more about grilling burgers, check out our latest video.
- Cilantro - 1/4 bunch , chopped
- Shallots - 1 bulb , minced
- Garlic - 2 cloves , pressed
- Avocado - 2 , seeded & cubed
- Limes - 1 , juice of
- Hot sauce - to taste
Fig Salad with Adobo Dressing:
- Figs - 8 , halved
- Adobo sauce (usually found with canned chipotle peppers) - 2 tsp
- Sherry / red wine vinegar - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Olive oil - 3 Tbsp
- Mixed greens - 1/4 lb
- Jalapenos - 1 , seeded & diced
- Chipotle peppers (canned, found usually in adobo sauce) - 1 to 2 , chopped
- Cilantro - 3 Tbsp , chopped
- Ground beef (20% fat) - 1 1/2 lbs
- Adobo sauce (usually found with canned chipotle peppers) - 2 Tbsp
- Worcestershire sauce - 2 Tbsp
- Honey - 1 Tbsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Cooking oil - 1 to 2 Tbsp
- Burger buns - 4
- Guacamole - ingredients listed separately
- For burgers: Jalapenos / Chipotles / Cilantro (for burgers & guacamole) - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Burger - Using hands, mix together ground meat, jalapenos, chipotles, Adobo sauce, worcestershire sauce, honey, cilantro, salt, and pepper. Form into four 3/4" to 1" (1.9 cm-2.5 cm) thick patties, and make a depression in the center with your thumb. Cover and refrigerate if not making right away. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- For guacamole & salad: Shallots / Garlic / Avocado / Figs – Prep as directed
- Guacamole: Using a knife, mash shallots, garlic, avocado, and cilantro together with lime juice and plenty of salt. Season to taste with hot sauce. Cover surface with plastic wrap and refrigerate if not eating right away. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead of time)
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Make dressing by whisking together adobo, vinegar, honey, and oil. Season to taste with salt & pepper. Set aside.
- Brush patties with cooking oil and salt and pepper. Heat up grill or grill pan over high heat. Grill burgers for about 7 minutes for medium-rare, turning once. (If using outdoor grill, place burgers over flame, same cooking time.)
- Toast buns on grill or in a 400F (204C) degree oven for about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Toss vinaigrette with greens and figs.
- Enjoy burgers topped with guacamole (and more chipotle peppers if you want) and your fig salad!