Balsamic Pork and Vegetable Kebabs
with cucumber tomato salad / watermelon lime slush
A balsamic marinade gives these pork kebabs a naturally sweet-tart flavor. Load the skewers up with a rainbow of vegetables and serve with two summer favorites - cucumber / tomato salad and a festive watermelon slush! Smarts: To save time, you can skip the skewers for this recipe and just saute the vegetables and marinated pork in a pan on the stove.
Cucumber and Tomato Salad:
- Olives, any pitted - 1/4 cup , sliced
- Cucumbers, medium - 2 , diced
- Tomatoes, cherry or grape - 1 cup , halved
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Italian seasonings - 1/2 tsp
Balsamic Pork and Vegetable Skewers:
- Pork, loin - 1 1/2 lbs , 1" / 2.5cm cubes
- Garlic - 2 cloves , smashed
- Lemons - 1 , zest of
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 3 Tbsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 3 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 1/2 cup
- Skewers, for grilling - 20
- Bell peppers, red - 1 , cubed
- Onions - 1/2 , cubed
- Zucchini - 1 lb , cubed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
Watermelon Lime Slush:
- Watermelon, small (preferably seedless) - 1/2 , cubed
- Ice - 2 cups
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Marinate pork - Cut pork into 1” (2.5 cm) cubes. Smash garlic cloves (no need to remove the peels) and combine with lemon zest, aminos, vinegar and stock. Pour marinade over pork and marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to a day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Soak skewers - If you plan to cook on the grill, soak the skewers in water for 30 minutes while you continue with the rest of your meal prep. This will prevent the skewers from burning. (Skip this step if cooking on the stovetop.)
- Bell peppers / Onions / Zucchini / Olives - Prep as directed. Store olives in one container and combine peppers, onions and zucchini in a second container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Watermelon - Cube watermelon. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Make watermelon slush - Combine watermelon, ice and lime juice in a blender. Blend until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Prep kebabs - Thread skewers through pork, bell peppers, onions and zucchini. Place completed skewers on a sheet pan, sprayed lightly with cooking oil. Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Cucumbers / Tomatoes - Prep as directed and combine.
- If cooking kebabs on the stovetop: Heat a grill pan or large skillet over medium-high heat. Brush with cooking oil and place skewers in heated oil (do this in batches if all of the skewers cannot fit without overlapping). Cook skewers, turning occasionally, until pork and vegetables are golden brown on the outside and pork is cooked through, ~10 to 12 minutes total.
- If making kebabs on a grill: Preheat grill to 500F / 260C degrees. Brush grates with cooking oil. Grill skewers over direct heat, turning occasionally, until pork and vegetables are golden brown on the outside and pork is cooked through, ~8 to 10 minutes total.
- While skewers cook, combine cucumbers, tomatoes and olives. Toss in olive oil and Italian seasonings and season with some salt and pepper.
- Serve kebabs with salad. Enjoy with a glass of watermelon slush on the side!