Vegetable and Goat Cheese Sandwiches
with balsamic mayo / watermelon lime slush
- Mayonnaise - 4 Tbsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Bell peppers, red - 1, diced
- Onions - 1/2, chopped
- Olives, any pitted - 1/4 cup, sliced
- Zucchini - 1 lb, cubed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Italian seasoning - 1/2 tsp
- Cheese, goat (sub feta or cubed Swiss) - 4 oz
- Sandwich rolls - 4
- Watermelon, small (preferably seedless) - 1/2, cubed
- Ice - 2 cups
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Bell peppers / Onions / Olives - Prep as directed. Combine bell peppers and onions. Store olives separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make balsamic mayo - Whisk together mayonnaise and vinegar. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Zucchini - Cube zucchini. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Watermelon - Cube watermelon. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Make watermelon slush - Combine watermelon, ice and lime juice in a blender. Blend until smooth. Taste and add a bit of honey or sugar (not in ingredients list) if you’d like it a bit sweeter. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Heat a non-stick saute pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and then zucchini. Saute until tender and golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add onions, peppers and Italian seasoning and saute until soft, 3 to 4 minutes more.
- Remove pan from heat and stir olives and cheese into vegetables.
- Toast rolls, if desired.
- Spread both sides of rolls with balsamic mayo and fill with vegetables.
- Serve sandwiches with a glass of watermelon slush on the side. Enjoy!
I really like the marinade. I could taste the lemon on the pork. The whole meal was good (if not a little labor intensive). Skipped the watermelon slush but looks good, so maybe I'll try sometime.0 Helpful
Doing this in a skillet, without skewers, resulted in more of a stir fry/stew . Was a bit bland (perhaps I didn't marinate long enough) but good with sriracha.0 Helpful
The balsamic mayo is what really made this sandwich so tasty.0 Helpful
Added white wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, oregano, basil and feta cheese to the salad. It was amazing :). Also baked the kebabs in the oven, worked better then on the stovetop.0 Helpful
Surprisingly good! The watermelon slush is amazing, and I will definitely make it again.0 Helpful
Skipped the olives since they were out of my price range, but I added some mushrooms and a pinch of pepper flakes for some zing.0 Helpful