Deconstructed Bagel and Lox Salad
with creamy garlic-lemon dressing
We turn the classic bagel and lox breakfast into a deconstructed salad (just use gluten-free bread or bagels if you can find them!), perfect for a summer night. Tied together with a creamy dressing that's full of zing, you'll love how satisfying and tasty this light meal is.
- Gluten-free bread (bagels if you can find it) - 2 slices , torn up
- Onions, red - 1/4 cup , sliced
- Cucumbers - 8 oz , sliced
- Tomatoes, grape - 10 oz , halved
- Lettuce, romaine - 8 oz , chopped
- Smoked salmon - 12 oz
- Garlic - 1 clove , minced
- Capers - 1 Tbsp , chopped
- Lemon juice - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, white wine (sub red wine) - 4 tsp
- Mustard, dijon - 4 tsp
- Creme fraiche - 2 Tbsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
Make croutons - Heat oven to 400F / 204C. Tear up gluten-free bread into bite-sized pieces and spread out onto a sheet pan. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until croutons have crisped up.
Make dressing - Chop garlic and capers. Mix with lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, creme fraiche, and honey. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead and refrigerated)
Red onions - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
Cucumbers / Tomatoes / Romaine lettuce - Prep as directed.
Toss 3/4 of dressing with romaine, cucumbers, tomatoes, and red onions. Divide salad up and then top with salmon and croutons. Drizzle with remainder of the dressing. Enjoy!