Summer Veggie Saute with Brown Rice
with leeks, zucchini, tomatoes and corn
Summer veggies shine in this hearty saute that are tied together with white wine, creme fraiche and aromatic leeks. Full of textures and flavors, you'll feel like you ordered this off a restaurant menu!
- Rice, brown (uncooked) - 2/3 cup
- Garlic - 2 cloves, minced
- Leeks - 3, white parts chopped
- Corn kernels (fresh or frozen) - 1 1/4 cups
- Basil leaves - 8, sliced
- Zucchini - 1 lb, diced
- Tomatoes, any type - 12 oz, diced
- Butter - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Wine, white - 1/2 cup
- Lemon - 1/2, juice of
- Creme fraiche - 3 Tbsp
- Rice - Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water (~45 minutes for brown rice). If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Garlic / Leeks / Corn (if using fresh) - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Basil - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Zucchini / Tomatoes - Prep as directed.
- Heat a saute pan over medium heat. Add butter and then leeks, garlic, and a sprinkle of salt to melted butter. Saute for ~2 minutes.
- Add white wine and saute for another 3 minutes or until absorbed by leeks.
- Add zucchini and tomatoes and saute for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Fold in brown rice and corn. Stir until corn is warmed up (for frozen) or cooked through (for fresh).
- Remove from heat and finish with lemon juice, basil, and creme fraiche. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed. Enjoy!
Had this with fish. Loved it! Made the farro with chicken stock.0 Helpful
Subbed prosciutto for pancetta and chicken for shrimp.0 Helpful
This was so flavorful! I was surprised by it, actually.0 Helpful
I added ground beef to make this more substantial. Really yummy.0 Helpful
Substantial, delicious, and healthy. We loved it!0 Helpful
This was so much better than I expected - I didn't have creme fraiche on hand so I topped with crumbled feta. Love the lemon/basil/feta/veggies combo.0 Helpful