Summer Farro Saute
with leeks, zucchini, tomatoes and corn
Summer Farro Saute:
- Semi-pearled / husked farro (uncooked) - 2/3 cup
- Garlic - 2 cloves , minced
- Leeks - 3 , white parts chopped
- Corn kernels (fresh or frozen) - 1 1/4 cups
- Basil leaves - 8 , sliced
- Zucchini - 1 lb , diced
- Tomatoes, any type - 12 oz , diced
- Butter - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Wine, white - 1/2 cup
- Lemon - 1/2 , juice of
- Creme fraiche - 3 Tbsp
- Cook farro - Combine farro, water, and some salt in a saucepan (use a 4:1 water to farro ratio, as in 4 cups of water / 1 cup of uncooked farro). Bring to a boil and simmer covered for 25 to 30 minutes, until farro is al dente (i.e., tender but still chewy). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Garlic / Leeks / Corn (if using fresh) - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Basil - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Zucchini / Tomatoes - Prep as directed.
- Heat a saute pan over medium heat. Add butter and then leeks, garlic, and a sprinkle of salt to melted butter. Saute for ~2 minutes.
- Add white wine and saute for another 3 minutes or until absorbed by leeks.
- Add zucchini and tomatoes and saute for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Fold in cooked farro and corn. Stir until corn is warmed up (for frozen) or cooked through (for fresh).
- Remove from heat and finish with lemon juice, basil, and creme fraiche. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed. Enjoy!