Adobo Shrimp & Black Beans
with lime cilantro rice
Chipotle (yes, the fast food chain) inspired this dish. Our fajita style shrimp and black beans are made even more flavorful with smokey adobo sauce and Latin spices. If you can't find chipotles in adobo sauce, substitute your favorite hot sauce. Paired with lime cilantro rice, you've got a dish that'll easily put Chipotle out of business. Look for canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce in the ethnic aisle of your grocery store.
Lime & Cilantro Rice:
- Cilantro - 1/4 cup , chopped
- Leftover rice - ~4 cups , white or brown
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
- Lime juice - 3 Tbsp
- Hot sauce - as desired
Adobo Shrimp & Black Beans:
- Shrimp - 1 lb , shelled & deveined
- Tomato paste - 1/4 cup
- Adobo sauce (usually found with canned chipotle peppers) - 2 Tbsp
- Red wine vinegar - 1 Tbsp
- Cumin - 2 tsp
- Oregano - 1 tsp
- Coriander - 1 tsp
- Chili powder - pinch
- Kosher salt - 1 tsp
- Garlic - 4 cloves , minced
- Red onion - 1 , sliced
- Red peppers - 2
- Green peppers - 1
- Cilantro - a few sprigs , chopped
- Black beans (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can , rinsed
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Limes - 1/2 , juice of
- Shrimp - Defrost, rinse, and dry.
- Sauce - Mix together tomato paste, adobo sauce, and vinegar. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Spices - Mix together cumin, oregano, coriander, chili powder, and salt. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Garlic / Onions / Peppers / Cilantro (for shrimp & rice) - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Beans - Rinse and drain.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Reheat rice on stovetop or in the microwave. Mix together with cooking oil, lime juice, cilantro, and hot sauce. Season to taste with salt.
- Heat a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add 1 tbs. (15 ml) cooking oil and then shrimp to heated oil. Add in one-third of the tomato / adobo mix and also one-third of the spice mix. Saute until almost done, ~6 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Return pan to medium-high heat and add another tbs. of cooking oil. Add garlic to heated pan and then onions. Saute until softened, 3 to 5 minutes and then add peppers with beans. Add remainder of the sauce and spice mix, and saute until peppers are tender but still crunchy, 3 to 5 minutes. Return shrimp to pan and toss everything through. Finish with a squeeze of lime juice, and season to taste with more salt, pepper, hot sauce, or any of the spices. Garnish with chopped cilantro.