Adobo Shrimp & Black Beans
with lime cilantro rice
- Cilantro - 1/4 cup, chopped
- Leftover rice - ~4 cups, white or brown
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
- Lime juice - 3 Tbsp
- Hot sauce - as desired
- Shrimp - 1 lb, shelled & deveined
- Tomato paste - 1/4 cup
- Adobo sauce (usually found with canned chipotle peppers) - 2 Tbsp
- Red wine vinegar - 1 Tbsp
- Cumin - 2 tsp
- Oregano - 1 tsp
- Coriander - 1 tsp
- Chili powder - pinch
- Kosher salt - 1 tsp
- Garlic - 4 cloves, minced
- Red onion - 1, sliced
- Red peppers - 2
- Green peppers - 1
- Cilantro - a few sprigs, chopped
- Black beans (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can, rinsed
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Limes - 1/2, juice of
- Shrimp - Defrost, rinse, and dry.
- Sauce - Mix together tomato paste, adobo sauce, and vinegar. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Spices - Mix together cumin, oregano, coriander, chili powder, and salt. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Garlic / Onions / Peppers / Cilantro (for shrimp & rice) - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Beans - Rinse and drain.
- Reheat rice on stovetop or in the microwave. Mix together with cooking oil, lime juice, cilantro, and hot sauce. Season to taste with salt.
- Heat a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add 1 tbs. (15 ml) cooking oil and then shrimp to heated oil. Add in one-third of the tomato / adobo mix and also one-third of the spice mix. Saute until almost done, ~6 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Return pan to medium-high heat and add another tbs. of cooking oil. Add garlic to heated pan and then onions. Saute until softened, 3 to 5 minutes and then add peppers with beans. Add remainder of the sauce and spice mix, and saute until peppers are tender but still crunchy, 3 to 5 minutes. Return shrimp to pan and toss everything through. Finish with a squeeze of lime juice, and season to taste with more salt, pepper, hot sauce, or any of the spices. Garnish with chopped cilantro.
Used 1/2 the Adobo based on the other comments. Didn't add oil to rice.0 Helpful
Enjoyed this, used 1/2-3/4 or adobe. Made black beans separate, used canned ‘side dish’ black beans we had on hand, made regular rice.0 Helpful
I cut the adobo by 75% and used chicken. I really enjoyed this. This is my first COVID 19 pantry meal and it was a success! I made it with cauliflower rice and I enjoyed all the veggies.0 Helpful
Way way too spicy, had to throw all of it out. what a waste of good ingredients.0 Helpful
I went through the archives looking for ingredients that I had on hand. This recipe I had everything except the cilantro and red onion. I skipped the cilantro (boo) and used a large shallot instead of red onion. Otherwise recipe was followed exactly. AMAZING!! So so so gooood! I think this is one of my top 5 at least. I think it was my husbands favorite so far. Delicious, spicy perfection on a plate.0 Helpful
Kind of a lot of work for a fairly one note flavor. It's a good flavor, mind you, but it's not very complex. I'd hoped for more.0 Helpful