Caprese Portobello Burgers
with 4th of July Spinach Salad
- Mushrooms, portobello - 4, stems removed
- Mozzarella, fresh - 6 oz, sliced
- Zucchini - 1, peeled into ribbons
- Tomatoes, beefsteak (or similar large tomato) - 1, sliced
- Basil - 12 leaves
- Hamburger buns - 4
- Vinegar, balsamic - 6 tsp
- Strawberries - 8 oz, sliced
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 Tbsp
- Maple syrup - 2 tsp
- Mustard, dijon - 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp
- Baby spinach - 4 oz
- Blueberries - 4 oz
- Almonds, shaved or slivered - 1 oz
- Portobello mushrooms - Remove stem and use the side of a spoon to scrape out gills. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Strawberries - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Mozzarella / Zucchini / Tomatoes / Basil leaves - Prep as directed. For zucchini, just peel until you hit the seeds in the middle. Place zucchini ribbons in a colander and toss with a pinch or two of salt. The salt will draw out the moisture.
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together balsamic vinegar, syrup, Dijon and oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Give portobello mushrooms a light sprinkle of salt right before grilling.
- If cooking on a grill: Heat up grill to 500F. Brush grates with some oil and then grill mushrooms for 2 minutes on each side over direct heat (i.e., over the flames). Then move to indirect heat, close the grill and cook for another 3 to 4 more minutes, or until tender. Buns can be toasted on the grill at the same time (~2 minutes on the hot grill should do).
- If cooking on stovetop: Heat up a grill pan to high heat. Brush with some oil, and then grill mushrooms for 2 minutes on each side. Then lower heat to medium and cook for another 4 to 5 minutes on the lower heat setting. Toast buns on the grill pan at the same time if there is room or wait till after mushrooms are done (~2 minutes on the hot grill should do).
- Place mushrooms onto bottom buns. Top with zucchini ribbons, fresh mozzarella, basil leaves, and tomatoes. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar (it’s best to pour into a spoon and then drizzle from spoon). Close burgers with the top bun.
- Toss vinaigrette with baby spinach, strawberries, blueberries and shaved almonds and enjoy with warm burger.
Very good salad.0 Helpful
my household really enjoyed this meal. every thing really complimented each other. the only thing i did differently was add avocado to burgers because that is how i eat my caprese salad normally. dressing was tasty however there was an abundance of it0 Helpful
I should put more salt on the burger next time, but it was great!0 Helpful
Salad was incredibly tasty!!0 Helpful
Yum! Salad was great, burger was great!0 Helpful