Black Bean and Sweet Potato Tacos
with slaw / avocado / cotija + strawberries
- Onions, red - 1/2, thinly sliced
- Vinegar, apple cider - 3 Tbsp
- Cilantro - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Coleslaw mix - 7 oz
- Oil, cooking - 2 tsp
- Sugar - 1/4 tsp
- Potatoes, sweet - 1 lb, cubed
- Chili powder - 1 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1 tsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Avocados - 1, sliced
- Beans, black (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Tortillas, taco-sized corn or flour - 8
- Pickled red onion slaw (ingredients listed separately) - ~2 cups
- Cheese, goat (sub feta) - 4 oz
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Mint, fresh (opt) - 6 leaves, sliced
- Strawberries (sub any berries) - 1 pint, sliced
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
- Sweet potatoes - Cube sweet potatoes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make spice mix - Combine chili powder, coriander and cumin. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Pickle onions - Thinly slice onions. Combine with apple cider vinegar and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 3 days. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Pre-cook potatoes - Place sweet potatoes in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with wet paper towel and microwave on high until tender, ~5 minutes. (You can also boil the potatoes in a stockpot of water until tender, 8 to 10 minutes.) (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Cilantro - Chop cilantro. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make slaw - Drain excess vinegar off pickled onions. Toss onions with cilantro, coleslaw mix, oil (the portion for the slaw) and sugar. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Mint / Strawberries - Prep as directed and combine with lime juice (the portion for the berries) and honey.
- Avocados - Slice avocados.
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Heat a large skillet with oil (the portion for the tacos) over medium-high heat. Add potatoes to heated oil and saute until they begin to brown on the outside, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add spice mix and beans and saute until beans are heated through, ~2 minutes more.
- Heat tortillas according to package directions.
- Assemble tacos by topping tortillas with sweet potato and black bean mixture, pickled onion slaw, avocados and crumbled cheese. Finish with a squeeze of fresh lime juice.
- Serve tacos with strawberries on the side (or save the strawberries for dessert) and enjoy!
Used pork butt instead of the loin based on the meat counter recommendation. First time making pulled pork and it was so juicy and delicious. I can't wait to make this again!0 Helpful
It was good, but a little dry.0 Helpful
Would mush avocado instead. Maybe add fruit salsa0 Helpful
The paleo ingredients seemed like they'd be weird together, but i really enjoyed this.0 Helpful
Unfortunately, our pulled pork was too dry to make this work. Didn't try the pickled onion slaw, but from other reviews, it sounds like a good pairing. Also, would love to try the Strawberries with lime and mint sometime!0 Helpful
This one is an absolute winner. Loved it! Made a avocado cream with my avocado, but just a personal prefernce since I don't like avocado's texture.0 Helpful