BBQ Grilled Cheese with Soyrizo
and zucchini succotash
Vegetarians shouldn't have to miss out on the all the flavors of saucy BBQ. For a twist on vegetarian-friendly BBQ, try these grilled cheese sandwiches with soyrizo and your favorite store-bought sauce. Add a fresh zucchini and corn succotash on the side for a fun summer dinner.
- Bread, sandwich - 8 slices
- Butter - 2 Tbsp + 2 Tbsp
- Cheese, mild cheddar - 4 slices
- Soyrizo - 8 oz
- Barbecue sauce (use your favorite brand) - 1/2 cup
- Shallots - 2 bulbs, chopped
- Zucchini, medium - 3, chopped
- Corn kernels, frozen or fresh - 2 cups
- Cilantro - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1/2 tsp
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Assemble grilled cheese sandwiches by spreading half the bread slices with first portion of butter. Place the slices buttered-side down in hot pan. Top with cheese and soyrizo. Spread the remaining bread slices with BBQ sauce and then add, sauce-side down. Cook until bottom of bread is golden brown, ~3 minutes. Spread the top pieces of bread with remaining butter and then flip and cook on the other side until filling is completely melted, ~3 minutes more.
- While sandwiches cook, heat a second frying pan over medium-high heat. Add oil and zucchini to heated oil. Saute until zucchini begins to brown on the outside, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add shallots and saute until shallots soften, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add corn, vinegar and butter and continue cooking until corn is heated through, ~1 minute more. Stir in cilantro and season with some salt and pepper.
- When sandwiches are finished cooking, cut them into slices.
- Serve sandwiches with succotash on the side. Enjoy!
This is my go to crock pot pulled pork recipe.0 Helpful
This is a hit, make again0 Helpful
Good! Definitely needed the BBQ sauce for pork, erred on dry.0 Helpful
Used pre-cooked pulled pork and Franklin BBQ sauce. So delicious!0 Helpful
We forgot quinoa so we used white rice instead. Tasty dish!!0 Helpful
Loved this! I cleaned my bowl. Husband is not a fan of quinoa so I'll sub in a different grain of I make it again. I'll use the pulled pork interactions again for sure. It's delicious!0 Helpful