BBQ Pulled Pork Bowls
with sweet potatoes / zucchini / tomatoes
- Pork, boneless loin (sub pork shoulder or pork butt) - 1 1/2 lbs
- Liquid smoke (opt) - 2 tsp
- Chili powder - 2 tsp
- Paprika, smoked - 2 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1 tsp
- Limes - 1, zest of
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Potatoes, sweet - 1 lb, cubed
- Shallots - 2 bulbs, chopped
- Zucchini, medium - 2, chopped
- Tomatoes, cherry or grape - 1 cup, halved
- Cilantro - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Barbecue sauce (paleo-friendly or sub store-bought salsa) - 1/2 cup
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1/2 tsp
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Sweet potatoes / Shallots - Prep as directed and store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Slow cook pork - (Double if making Wednesday’s dinner.) Place pork in the bowl of a slow cooker. Top with liquid smoke, chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, lime zest, salt and pepper. Cook pork on low for 7 to 8 hours. (Alternatively, you can cook pork in a covered Dutch oven at 300F / 149C until it shreds easily, 4 to 5 hours.) (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Pre-cook potatoes - Place sweet potatoes in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with wet paper towel and microwave on high until tender, ~ 3 minutes. (You can also boil the potatoes in a stockpot of water until tender, 8 to 10 minutes.) (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Zucchini / Tomatoes - Prep as directed. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Cilantro - Chop cilantro.
- When pork is finished cooking, transfer to a cutting board and shred with forks (or chop with a knife if it doesn't shred easily).
- If making Wednesday’s dinner, reserve half the shredded pork for that night's meal. Combine the half of the pork for tonight’s dinner with barbecue sauce (or salsa if using as a sub) and cover to keep warm.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add zucchini to heated oil and saute until golden brown and tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes and shallots and saute until shallots soften, 1 to 2 minutes. Add vinegar and butter and continue cooking until butter melts. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Divide potato and zucchini mixture between serving bowls. Top with pulled pork, tomatoes and cilantro. Enjoy!
I made these as a quesadilla instead of a grilled cheese. So good!0 Helpful
Good Flavors, tried the paleo because I had sweet potatoes leftover from Monday already chopped up and my fiancee brought home leftover pulled pork from work, so it quickly came together tonight. Sadly the sweet potatoes didn't cook through, but we love zucchini and tomatoes. :)0 Helpful
This is my go to crock pot pulled pork recipe.0 Helpful
This is a hit, make again0 Helpful
Good! Definitely needed the BBQ sauce for pork, erred on dry.0 Helpful
Used pre-cooked pulled pork and Franklin BBQ sauce. So delicious!0 Helpful