Kidney Bean and Bell Pepper Saute
with zucchini / quinoa / goat cheese
- Quinoa, uncooked - 3/4 cup
- Stock, any type - 1 1/2 cups
- Onions, red - 1, chopped
- Bell peppers, any color - 2, chopped
- Coleslaw mix - 7 oz, chopped
- Zucchini, medium - 2, chopped
- Cilantro - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Beans, kidney (14oz / 397g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Cajun seasoning - 1 1/2 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 3/4 tsp
- Tomato paste - 4 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 3/4 cup
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Cheese, goat (sub feta) - 3 oz
- Quinoa - Combine quinoa with stock and a pinch of salt in a saucepan. Bring to a boil covered. Lower heat, keep covered, and cook until liquid is absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat when finished to prevent burning / sticking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Onions / Bell peppers / Coleslaw mix - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Zucchini / Cilantro - Prep as directed.
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Heat a Dutch oven with first part of oil over medium-high heat. Add zucchini and saute until golden brown and tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Set zucchini aside and return pan to heat.
- Add second part of oil and then onions, peppers and coleslaw mix to heated oil. Saute until vegetables are beginning to soften, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add Cajun seasoning mix and oregano and saute until spices coat vegetables.
- Add beans and cooked zucchini and stir to combine with other ingredients. Stir in tomato paste and stock and simmer until liquid reduces by about half, 5 to 6 minutes.
- If quinoa was made ahead and refrigerated, reheat it briefly in the microwave.
- Remove vegetable saute from heat and stir in lemon juice. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Serve vegetable saute over quinoa. Top with crumbled goat cheese and cilantro. Enjoy!
soooooo good! the quinoa gave it a nice pop! Used tilapia instead of shrimp because hubby doesnt like it but it was amazing!0 Helpful
Used shrimp, chicken and sausage. Family enjoyed it.0 Helpful
Subbed chicken for shrimp.0 Helpful
Absolutely an amazing dish. I love rice, but this is a keeper. Flavorful and just the right amount of heat. Will cook this again and again.0 Helpful
I skipped the salad and used cauliflower rice to make it a very tasty one-pot meal!0 Helpful
We forgot to get quinoa so we used white rice instead. I wasn't sure about this dish, but I actually liked it!0 Helpful