Shrimp, Chorizo and Bell Pepper Saute
Shrimp, Sausage and Bell Pepper Saute:
- Shrimp, peeled and deveined - 1 lb
- Onions, red - 1/2 , chopped
- Bell peppers, any color - 2 , chopped
- Coleslaw mix - 7 oz , chopped
- Sausage, raw chorizo (sub andouille, chopped) - 6 oz
- Cilantro - 1 Tbsp , chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Cajun seasoning - 1 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Tomato paste - 3 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 3/4 cup
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Quinoa, uncooked - 3/4 cup
- Stock, any type - 1 1/2 cups
- Shrimp - Defrost, rinse, and pat dry.
- Quinoa - (Double if making Tuesday night’s dinner.) Combine quinoa with stock and a pinch of salt in a saucepan. Bring to a boil covered. Lower heat, keep covered, and cook until liquid is absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat when finished to prevent burning / sticking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Onions / Bell peppers / Coleslaw mix - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Sausage - Skip this step if using loose, raw sausage (like most chorizo). Otherwise, chop sausage and discard casings. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Cilantro - Prep as directed.
- Heat a Dutch oven with first part of oil over medium-high heat. Add shrimp and saute until cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes. Set shrimp aside and return pan to heat.
- Add second part of oil and then onions, peppers and coleslaw mix to heated oil. Saute until vegetables are beginning to soften, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add Cajun seasoning mix and oregano and saute until spices coat vegetables.
- Add chorizo and stir to break into small pieces. Saute until chorizo begins to darken and release oil. Stir in tomato paste and stock and simmer until liquid reduces, 5 to 6 minutes.
- If quinoa was made ahead and refrigerated, reheat it briefly in the microwave. (If doubled for Tuesday’s meal, remember to save half.)
- Remove chorizo from heat and stir in shrimp and lemon juice. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Serve chorizo and shrimp over quinoa. Top with cilantro and enjoy!