Curried Fried Rice
with pineapple and cashews
Smarts: You might still have a bit of coconut milk left - throw it into a breakfast smoothie!
- Ground chicken - 1 lb
- Garlic - 3 cloves, minced
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped with white and green parts separated
- Carrots - 1, peeled and grated
- Pineapple, fresh or canned - 1 1/2 cups, chopped
- Yellow curry paste (sub any other type) - 1 Tbsp
- Fish sauce (sub soy sauce) - 1 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 1/2 Tbsp
- Coconut milk - 2/3 cup
- Rice, white or brown - 1 cup
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Eggs - 2
- Cashews - 1/2 cup
- Lime - 1/2, juice of
- Ground chicken - Season with salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Garlic / Green Onions / Carrots / Pineapple - Prep as directed. For the carrots, if you're too lazy to whip out the food processor, use a box grater instead. Store green parts of green onions separately. White parts of green onions can be combined with garlic. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Sauce - Whisk together curry paste, fish sauce, brown sugar, and coconut milk. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Rice - (If not already made last night.) We highly recommend using leftover rice for fried rice! For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Rice - Mix with first part of cooking oil.
- Heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add second part of cooking oil and then ground chicken to heated oil. Pour in half the sauce, and break up meat with a wooden spoon. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes until meat is cooked through. Remove from wok and set aside.
- Return wok to heat and add third part of cooking oil to pan. Add in garlic and white parts of green onion to heated oil. Once you can smell the aromatics, crack eggs into wok and scramble. When eggs are done, add in carrots with a dash of salt. Stir-fry for ~1 minute.
- Next add in rice, pineapple, and remainder of sauce. Toss everything together, and cook until rice is warmed through. Add in green parts of green onions, cashews, ground meat, and a squeeze of lime juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
It was fine. We used red curry paste and mixed frozen veggies. Likely won't make it again since other fried rices on CookSmarts have been better.0 Helpful
Fun & quick to make & 8 year old ate! Made ahead rice & jar minced garlic made this fast...and cashews ! Yum!0 Helpful
Hit the spot! Hubby added an extra egg. On a weeknight, make ahead rice is a must!0 Helpful
This was pretty good, but not as top notch as lots of the other stir-fries we have had on this site.0 Helpful
Really good! Made with grilled chicken0 Helpful
Tasty dish, better on first night since leftovers can tend to get mushy with reheating. Next time would try with jasmine or basmati rice.0 Helpful