Citrus Soy Chicken
with carrots, bok choy, and rice
- White / brown rice - 1 cup
- Orange juice - 1/4 cup
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1/4 cup
- Worcestershire sauce - 2 Tbsp
- Honey - 1 Tbsp
- Crushed garlic - 1 tsp
- Cooking oil - 2 Tbsp
- Citrus-soy marinade / sauce - Ingredients listed separately
- Chicken breasts - 1 1/2 lbs
- Carrots - 1 lb, peeled & chopped into sticks
- Baby bok choy - 1/2 lb, halved
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon - 1/2, juice of
- Cilantro - a few sprigs, chopped
- Sauce - Mix together all ingredients for citrus-soy sauce.
- Chicken - Tenderize with a fork and marinate (ideally overnight) in one-third of the citrus-soy marinade. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Carrots - Slice into 2" (5 cm) sticks. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bok choy - Slice in half, and rinse & dry. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Rice - If making tomorrow night's dinner, double portions. If using white rice, rinse until water runs clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven with rice and 2:1 ratio of water to rice. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. Save half if making tomorrow's dinner.
- Preheat a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil, and then chicken to heated oil. Sear on both sides for 3 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Return pan to medium-high heat and add carrots with a dash of salt & fresh pepper and half of the remaining sauce. Saute for ~5 minutes. Return chicken back to the pan (just nestle into the carrots). Cover with a lid and lower heat to medium. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add bok choy to pan on top of chicken. Drizzle with some more sauce (but save some for serving!). Cover and cook for another 3 to 5 minutes, until chicken breasts are done. Finish with a squeeze of lemon juice, and season to taste with salt & pepper. Serve with more sauce on the side and cilantro over rice.
I really loved the flavor of the sauce! We made this one because I got baby bok choy at the farmer's market. I ended up doing thighs on the grill marinated in the sauce and they were awesome. Despite bok choy being my favorite vegetable, I really loved the carrots.0 Helpful
Mine turned into more of a stir-fry. I only had regular bok choy which I chopped up and I ended up chopping up the chicken as well. I ended up adding a little arrowroot powder at the end to thicken up the sauce. Everything was very flavorful and it was easy to make.0 Helpful
Savory and a little sweet, yum. Easy to cook too. The "baby" bok choy at my store was enormous!0 Helpful
The carrots were amazing. Loved the chicken. Didn't do bok choy because I couldn't find it at the store. Easy prep.0 Helpful
Loved it. I added Sriracha and cut up the chicken into cubes before cooking.0 Helpful
Chicken was super juicy and the whole family loved this dish!0 Helpful