Mustard Roasted Fishwith lentils, peas, and spinach
This fish dish is an absolute crowd pleaser and also super simple to make. Make it extra indulgent with a few more scoops of dairy.
- French / Green lentils, dried - 1 cup
- Garlic - 4 cloves, minced
- Onions - 1, diced
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
- Chicken broth / stock - 2 to 4 cups
- Frozen peas - 4 oz
- Dried thyme - 1 tsp
- Baby spinach - 4 oz
- Shallots - 2 Tbsp, minced
- Tilapia or cod (4 to 6 oz fillets) - 4 fillets
- Dried thyme - 1/2 tsp
- Lemons - 1, juice & wedges
- Capers (opt) - 1 Tbsp
- Dijon mustard - 1 Tbsp
- Creme fraiche - 1/4 cup
- Preheat oven to 425F (218C) degrees
- Heat a >3.5 quart (3.3 liters) Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add 1 tbs. (15 ml) cooking oil and then minced garlic to heated oil. Add diced onions with a dash of salt. Sauté for 3 minutes, until softened and translucent
- Add drained lentils and then add 2 cups (472 ml) of stock / broth if you soaked them overnight or 3 cups (705 ml) of stock if not soaked. Add 1 tsp. (5 ml) thyme and 1⁄2 tsp. (2.5 ml) kosher salt. Cover and bring to a boil. Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes if lentils were soaked, 25 to 30 minutes if not soaked
- Mix together 1⁄2 tsp. (2.5 ml) dried thyme, shallots, 1 tbs. (15 ml)lemon juice, capers, Dijon mustard, and crème fraiche with 1⁄4 tsp. (1.25 ml) kosher salt
- Place fish into a baking pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and then cover with mustard mixture. Bake in oven for 12 to 15 minutes depending on thickness of fish
- Check if lentils have absorbed all their liquid. Add peas and spinach. Cook for another 2 to 3 minutes and then season to taste with salt and pepper
- Enjoy fish with lemon wedges. The mustard / crème fraiche turns into a natural sauce. Serve over lentils
This meal has 69 reviews
made the cauliflower version
The only thing was that it seemed a little on the salty side. I think next time I won't add any salt to the lentils since the chicken broth is already salty. We used sour cream instead of creme fraiche since I couldn't find it, and it worked great.
The sauce is amazing
OK- OUTSTANDING! I made it for my parents who are super picky and my mothers only comment was I should double the sauce next time so she has more to put over her lentils. Even my 13 year old ate it, who swears she doesn't like peas. Will make again soon.
Reminded me of a buerre blanc except much healthier. Very good.
2.5 - The sauce was good but the lentils were bland/boring.