Mustard Roasted Fishwith lentils, peas, and spinach
This fish dish is an absolute crowd pleaser and also super simple to make. Make it extra indulgent with a few more scoops of dairy.
- French / Green lentils, dried - 1 cup
- Garlic - 4 cloves, minced
- Onions - 1, diced
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
- Chicken broth / stock - 2 to 4 cups
- Frozen peas - 4 oz
- Dried thyme - 1 tsp
- Baby spinach - 4 oz
- Shallots - 2 Tbsp, minced
- Tilapia or cod (4 to 6 oz fillets) - 4 fillets
- Dried thyme - 1/2 tsp
- Lemons - 1, juice & wedges
- Capers (opt) - 1 Tbsp
- Dijon mustard - 1 Tbsp
- Creme fraiche - 1/4 cup
- Preheat oven to 425F (218C) degrees
- Heat a >3.5 quart (3.3 liters) Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add 1 tbs. (15 ml) cooking oil and then minced garlic to heated oil. Add diced onions with a dash of salt. Sauté for 3 minutes, until softened and translucent
- Add drained lentils and then add 2 cups (472 ml) of stock / broth if you soaked them overnight or 3 cups (705 ml) of stock if not soaked. Add 1 tsp. (5 ml) thyme and 1⁄2 tsp. (2.5 ml) kosher salt. Cover and bring to a boil. Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes if lentils were soaked, 25 to 30 minutes if not soaked
- Mix together 1⁄2 tsp. (2.5 ml) dried thyme, shallots, 1 tbs. (15 ml)lemon juice, capers, Dijon mustard, and crème fraiche with 1⁄4 tsp. (1.25 ml) kosher salt
- Place fish into a baking pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and then cover with mustard mixture. Bake in oven for 12 to 15 minutes depending on thickness of fish
- Check if lentils have absorbed all their liquid. Add peas and spinach. Cook for another 2 to 3 minutes and then season to taste with salt and pepper
- Enjoy fish with lemon wedges. The mustard / crème fraiche turns into a natural sauce. Serve over lentils
This meal has 69 reviews
I added a lot of lemon juice to the lentils because I like my lentils lemony.
Doubled the sauce to cover the cauliflower
Loved the lentils but didn't like the sauce for the fish
I really liked this dish. Huge fan of the capers!
My husband and I loved this meal. It was creamy and delicious. He made sure to tell me to save it as a favorite and can't wait for me to make it again. It was even great for leftovers.
Will definitely double the sauce if I make his again with a full head of cauliflower.