Shrimp Fajita Salad
with bell peppers, tomatoes and corn tossed in Latin spices
This meal was such a hit the week of 4/13/15 that we're not only bringing it back for Favorites Week but we also made it part of our sample meal plans too! Enjoy these fun Latin flavors in a refreshing, crunchy summer salad.
Smarts: Double the saute and use the filling in wraps for an easy next-day lunch.
- Garlic - 1 clove , chopped
- Vinegar, red wine - 3 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Sour cream - 1/4 cup (sub plain or Greek yogurt)
- Paprika, smoked - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Shrimp - 1 lb , shelled and deveined
- Garlic powder - 1/2 tsp
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander - 1/4 tsp
- Cumin - 1/4 tsp
- Shallots - 1 bulb , sliced
- Bell peppers, green - 1 , sliced
- Bell peppers, red - 1 , sliced
- Green onions - 2 stalks , sliced thinly
- Romaine lettuce - 1 head , chopped
- Tomatoes, roma - 3 , chopped
- Tortilla chips (opt) - 1 cup , crushed
- Corn kernels, frozen or canned - 1 cup , thawed or drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
Shrimp - Defrost, rinse, and pat dry. Toss with garlic powder, paprika, coriander, cumin, and some salt. (Can be done up 1 day ahead)
Prepare dressing - Mince garlic. Whisk garlic with red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, sour cream, paprika, and cooking oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
Romaine / Tomatoes / Tortilla chips (if using) - Prep as directed.
Corn - Warm in microwave for frozen or drain and rinse for canned.
Next add shrimp and saute for another 3 minutes.
Fold in peppers and toss for another 3 minutes or until shrimp are cooked through. Remove and set aside.
Assemble salads with romaine, tomatoes, corn and green onions. Toss with shrimp and peppers and dressing. Season to taste with salt, pepper, or more of the spices, and sprinkle crushed tortilla chips (if using) on top!