Chicken and Mango Summer Rolls
with peanut dipping sauce
If you made Monday's chicken and rice noodles, these summer rolls with fresh herbs and sweet mango will be a breeze to put together. (Even if you didn't, just follow the instructions for quick prep.) Serve the rolls with peanut dipping sauce for a dinner that the whole family can have fun putting together.
- Peanut butter - 1/3 cup (sub any nut butter)
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp
- Sriracha (opt) - 1 tsp (sub hot sauce)
- Water - 3 Tbsp
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, sliced
- Honey - 3 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 3 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Noodles, thin rice vermicelli (find these in the ethnic food aisle or sub soba or spaghetti) - 3 oz
- Carrots, small (look for pre-shredded to save time) - 2, matchsticks
- Cucumbers, medium - 1, matchsticks
- Basil, fresh - 12 leaves, leaves torn
- Mint, fresh - 16 leaves, leaves torn
- Mangos - 1, sliced
- Rice papers (look for these in the ethnic aisle) - 16
- Marinate chicken - (Skip this step if chicken was already made on Monday.) Cut chicken into 1” (2.5 cm) cubes. Combine honey and soy sauce (the portions for the chicken) and pour over chicken pieces. Marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to a day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Cook rice noodles - (Skip this step if noodles were already made on Monday.) Cook according to package instructions. If not using right away, rinse noodles under cool water and store in an airtight container. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make dipping sauce - Whisk together peanut butter, honey, soy sauce (the portion for the sauce) and sriracha. Add water a bit at a time until sauce reaches a smooth, pourable consistency. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Carrots / Cucumbers - Prep as directed and store in one container. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Cook chicken - (Skip this step if chicken was already made on Monday.) Heat a wok or saute pan over medium-high heat. Add oil. Use a slotted spoon to transfer chicken to hot pan, reserving marinade. Saute until chicken is nearly cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes. Add remaining marinade and cook until marinade reduces and coats chicken, ~2 minutes. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Basil / Mint/ Mangos - Prep as directed.
- Fill a frying pan with about 1 ½” (3.75 cm) of water. Heat water over medium-low heat - it shouldn't be so hot that you can’t touch it.
- If chicken is in large pieces, roughly chop them so they fit more easily in rolls.
- Use fingers to loosen noodles if they are stuck together and break them into smaller pieces.
- Dip rice paper into water and rotate through water (check out this video to see how we keep the rice paper from sticking). Place onto a plate. Do 4 at a time and then assemble 4 rolls.
- To assemble rolls, layer noodles, basil, mint, chicken, carrots, cucumbers and mango at the end of the rice paper that is close to you. Don’t overfill or the paper will break. Fold rice paper over the filling from the bottom up. Then fold sides over. Roll as tightly as possible (Again, check out the this video for tips).
- Repeat until you have no more filling. Serve summer rolls with dipping sauce!
I made this as a rice bowl instead of rolls. So good!!0 Helpful
Flavors are good, but what a hassle to make. I like the peanut sauce a lot.0 Helpful
Made it as a salad instead of lettuce cups. Quite good.0 Helpful
My absolute fav!0 Helpful
The chicken was unwieldy in the spring rolls but everyone still loved it. I also made noodles and dressed them with the sauce.0 Helpful
Made about 9 rolls, maybe I overstuffed them?0 Helpful