Farmer's Market Skillet with Fried Eggs
with garden salad / balsamic vinaigrette
- Sweet potatoes - 1 1/2 lb, cubed
- Bell peppers, red - 1, chopped
- Onions - 1, chopped
- Squash, any variety (like zucchini or yellow squash) - 1 lb, cubed
- Basil, fresh - 6 leaves, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1/2 tsp
- Italian seasonings - 1/2 tsp
- Eggs - 4
- Tomatoes, medium - 1, diced
- Cucumbers, medium - 1, chopped
- Avocados - 1, chopped
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Mixed greens - 5 oz
- Sweet potatoes / Bell peppers / Onions - Prep as directed. Store sweet potatoes in one container and combine bell peppers and onions in another. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Pre-cook potatoes - Place sweet potatoes in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with wet paper towel and microwave on high until tender, ~5 minutes. (You can also boil the potatoes in a stockpot of water until tender, 8 to 10 minutes.) (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Squash - Cube squash. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Tomatoes / Cucumbers / Avocados / Basil - Prep as directed.
- Heat a large skillet with the first part of cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add squash with a pinch of salt to heated oil. Saute until starts to turn tender, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add pre-cooked potatoes and saute until the outsides of both squash and potatoes start to brown, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add peppers and onions and continue cooking until all of the vegetables are tender, 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Add paprika and Italian seasonings to pan. Stir to combine all ingredients and saute for another minute to let flavors come together.
- Heat second part of cooking oil in a nonstick pan (or if you prefer not to use a second pan, transfer potato mixture to a serving plate, wipe out skillet and return it to heat). Crack eggs into oil and fry to desired doneness (cook on one side for sunny-side up, or flip and cook on both sides).
- While eggs are cooking, whisk together vinegar, mustard and honey. Add olive oil while whisking. Just before serving, toss tomatoes, cucumbers, avocados and mixed greens with vinaigrette.
- Top hash with fried eggs and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle basil over top. Serve salad on the side and enjoy!
Needs more seasoning. Added sausage.0 Helpful
Made this without the salad and had a little homemade whole wheat cinnamon bread on the side. Also added a half pound of ground breakfast sausage (spicy, not sweet) to fill it out a bit as we were cooking for friend. Delicious!0 Helpful
I loved this meal! The veggies were cooked perfectly with a little crunch. I even ate the leftovers with homemade tomato sauce and cheese for lunch and it was so good!0 Helpful
Always enjoy a hash. Wish there were tips on how to get crispy potatoes.0 Helpful
Felt like this was good, but was missing something to be excellent. Still a solid dish!0 Helpful
Would have been great with some italian sausage. Kids needed a little sour cream for it, to balance the paprika :).0 Helpful