Farmer's Market Skillet with Fried Eggs
with garden salad / balsamic vinaigrette
- Potatoes, sweet - 1 1/2 lb, cubed
- Bell peppers, red - 1, chopped
- Onions - 1, chopped
- Squash, any variety (like zucchini or yellow squash) - 1 lb, cubed
- Basil, fresh - 6 leaves, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1/2 tsp
- Italian seasonings - 1/2 tsp
- Eggs - 4
- Tomatoes, medium - 1, diced
- Cucumbers, medium - 1, chopped
- Avocados - 1, chopped
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Mixed greens - 5 oz
- Sweet potatoes / Bell peppers / Onions - Prep as directed. Store sweet potatoes in one container and combine bell peppers and onions in another. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Pre-cook potatoes - Place sweet potatoes in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with wet paper towel and microwave on high until tender, ~5 minutes. (You can also boil the potatoes in a stockpot of water until tender, 8 to 10 minutes.) (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Squash - Cube squash. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Tomatoes / Cucumbers / Avocados / Basil - Prep as directed.
- Heat a large skillet with the first part of cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add squash with a pinch of salt to heated oil. Saute until starts to turn tender, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add pre-cooked potatoes and saute until the outsides of both squash and potatoes start to brown, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add peppers and onions and continue cooking until all of the vegetables are tender, 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Add paprika and Italian seasonings to pan. Stir to combine all ingredients and saute for another minute to let flavors come together.
- Heat second part of cooking oil in a nonstick pan (or if you prefer not to use a second pan, transfer potato mixture to a serving plate, wipe out skillet and return it to heat). Crack eggs into oil and fry to desired doneness (cook on one side for sunny-side up, or flip and cook on both sides).
- While eggs are cooking, whisk together vinegar, mustard and honey. Add olive oil while whisking. Just before serving, toss tomatoes, cucumbers, avocados and mixed greens with vinaigrette.
- Top hash with fried eggs and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle basil over top. Serve salad on the side and enjoy!
Made this without the salad and had a little homemade whole wheat cinnamon bread on the side. Also added a half pound of ground breakfast sausage (spicy, not sweet) to fill it out a bit as we were cooking for friend. Delicious!0 Helpful
I loved this meal! The veggies were cooked perfectly with a little crunch. I even ate the leftovers with homemade tomato sauce and cheese for lunch and it was so good!0 Helpful
Always enjoy a hash. Wish there were tips on how to get crispy potatoes.0 Helpful
Felt like this was good, but was missing something to be excellent. Still a solid dish!0 Helpful
Would have been great with some italian sausage. Kids needed a little sour cream for it, to balance the paprika :).0 Helpful
Added avocado and sriracha for extra yum0 Helpful