Vietnamese Mushroom and Tofu Saladwith vermicelli / carrots / cucumbers / lime dressing
We featured a vermicelli salad in July 2015 and our community loved the fresh flavors in the hot summer months. This revised version gives you the option to make extra salad components and turn them into summer rolls on Wednesday so you'll spend even less time in the kitchen this week.
- Ginger - 1 inch
- Brown sugar - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp
- Limes, juice - 2
- Water - 2 Tbsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Green onions, green parts only - 2, minced
- Tofu, extra firm - 16 oz, cubed (vacuum packed preferable)
- Honey - 3 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 4 Tbsp
- Water - 1 Tbsp
- Cornstarch - 2 tsp
- Mushrooms, any button (look for pre-sliced to save time) - 8 oz, sliced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Noodles, thin rice vermicelli - 3 oz (find these in the ethnic food aisle or sub soba or spaghetti)
- Carrots - 5 oz, matchsticks (look for pre-shredded)
- Cucumbers - 8 oz, matchsticks
- Green lettuce, small - 1 head, chopped
- Mint, fresh - 8 leaves, chopped
- Peanuts, roasted and unsalted - 1/2 cup
- Vietnamese dressing with lime (ingredients listed separately) - ~3/4 cup
- Tofu - (Double if making Wednesday's dinner.) If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make stir-fry sauce - (Double if making Wednesday's dinner.) Combine honey, soy sauce (the portion for the stir-fry), water and cornstarch. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make dressing - Grate ginger. Combine with sugar, vinegar, soy sauce (the portion for the dressing), lime juice, water and red pepper flakes (if using). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms - (Double if making Wednesday's dinner.) Thinly slice mushrooms and remove any tough stems. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Cook rice noodles - (Double if making Wednesday's dinner.) Cook according to package instructions. If not using right away, rinse noodles under cool water and store in an airtight container. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Carrots / Cucumbers - Prep as directed and store in one container. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Lettuce / Mint / Green onions - Prep as directed. Reserve green parts of green onions and discard white parts (or use for another recipe).
- Heat a wok or saute pan with first part of cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add tofu to heated oil with some salt and pepper and saute until golden brown, 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer tofu to a plate and return wok to heat.
- Add second part of cooking oil and mushrooms to heated oil. Saute mushrooms until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the tofu back to the pan along with stir-fry sauce. Simmer until sauce thickens and coats tofu and mushrooms, ~2 minutes more. (If doubled, remember to reserve half the cooked tofu and mushrooms for Wednesday.)
- Whisk dressing and sprinkle green onions over the top.
- Assemble salads by combining lettuce, noodles, cucumbers, carrots, mushrooms and tofu in serving bowls. (If mushrooms and tofu were doubled, remember to save half for Wednesday.) Top with mint and peanuts. Pour dressing over salad just before serving and toss well. Enjoy!
This meal has 40 reviews
Made this without the noodles. Very good.
The dressing was really salty and tangy, especially with the chicken's flavor. I'd take it down a notch next time...
We liked it just as much as the first time we made it!
The sauce really pulled it together.
This is one of my all time favorite cook smarts meals. I double the dressing and buy extra vermicelli noodles as this recipe works so easily with all kinds of vegetables and proteins. This time I added mango.
I loved this! It was a refreshing, light meal. And re-purposing the ingredients for spring rolls the next night was a huge time saver. The kids even asked when we will have the chicken again, so I will definitely be planning this meal combo again.