Vietnamese Chicken Salad
with mushrooms / carrots / cucumbers / lime dressing
We featured a Vietnamese chicken and mushroom salad in July 2015 and our community loved the fresh flavors in the hot summer months. This revised version gives you the option to make extra salad components and turn them into lettuce wraps on Wednesday so you'll spend even less time in the kitchen this week.
- Ginger - 1 inch
- Honey - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 Tbsp
- Fish sauce - 4 Tbsp
- Limes, juice - 2
- Water - 2 Tbsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Green onions, green parts only - 2 , minced
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 1/2 lbs , sliced
- Honey - 3 Tbsp
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 3 Tbsp
- Mushrooms, any button (look for pre-sliced to save time) - 8 oz , sliced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Carrots - 5 oz , matchsticks (look for pre-shredded)
- Cucumbers - 8 oz , matchsticks
- Green lettuce, small - 1 head , chopped
- Mint, fresh - 8 leaves , chopped
- Cashews, roasted and unsalted - 1/2 cup
- Vietnamese dressing with lime (ingredients listed separately) - ~3/4 cup
Marinate chicken - (Double if making Wednesay's dinner). Cut chicken into 1” (2.5 cm) cubes. Combine honey, aminos and water and pour over chicken pieces. Marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to a day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Make dressing - Grate ginger. Combine with honey, vinegar, fish sauce, lime juice, water and red pepper flakes (if using). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Mushrooms - (Double if making Wednesday's dinner.) Thinly slice mushrooms and remove any tough stems. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
Lettuce / Mint / Green onions - Prep as directed. Reserve green parts of green onions and discard white parts (or use for another recipe).
Add second part of cooking oil. Use a slotted spoon to transfer chicken to hot wok, reserving marinade, and saute until chicken is nearly cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the cooked mushrooms back to the wok along with all of the reserved marinade and continue cooking until marinade reduces and coats chicken, ~2 minutes more. (If doubled, remember to reserve half the cooked chicken and mushrooms for Wednesday.)
Whisk dressing and sprinkle green onions over the top.
Assemble salads by combining lettuce, cucumbers, carrots, mushrooms and chicken in serving bowls. (If mushrooms and chicken were doubled, remember to save half for Wednesday.) Top with mint and cashews. Pour dressing over salad just before serving and toss well. Enjoy!