Vietnamese Mushroom and Tofu Salad
with vermicelli / carrots / cucumbers / lime dressing
We featured a vermicelli salad in July 2015 and our community loved the fresh flavors in the hot summer months. This revised version gives you the option to make extra salad components and turn them into summer rolls on Wednesday so you'll spend even less time in the kitchen this week.
- Ginger - 1 inch
- Brown sugar - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp
- Limes, juice - 2
- Water - 2 Tbsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Green onions, green parts only - 2, minced
- Tofu, extra firm - 16 oz, cubed (vacuum packed preferable)
- Honey - 3 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 4 Tbsp
- Water - 1 Tbsp
- Cornstarch - 2 tsp
- Mushrooms, any button (look for pre-sliced to save time) - 8 oz, sliced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Noodles, thin rice vermicelli - 3 oz (find these in the ethnic food aisle or sub soba or spaghetti)
- Carrots - 5 oz, matchsticks (look for pre-shredded)
- Cucumbers - 8 oz, matchsticks
- Green lettuce, small - 1 head, chopped
- Mint, fresh - 8 leaves, chopped
- Peanuts, roasted and unsalted - 1/2 cup
- Vietnamese dressing with lime (ingredients listed separately) - ~3/4 cup
- Tofu - (Double if making Wednesday's dinner.) If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make stir-fry sauce - (Double if making Wednesday's dinner.) Combine honey, soy sauce (the portion for the stir-fry), water and cornstarch. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make dressing - Grate ginger. Combine with sugar, vinegar, soy sauce (the portion for the dressing), lime juice, water and red pepper flakes (if using). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms - (Double if making Wednesday's dinner.) Thinly slice mushrooms and remove any tough stems. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Cook rice noodles - (Double if making Wednesday's dinner.) Cook according to package instructions. If not using right away, rinse noodles under cool water and store in an airtight container. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Carrots / Cucumbers - Prep as directed and store in one container. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Lettuce / Mint / Green onions - Prep as directed. Reserve green parts of green onions and discard white parts (or use for another recipe).
- Heat a wok or saute pan with first part of cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add tofu to heated oil with some salt and pepper and saute until golden brown, 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer tofu to a plate and return wok to heat.
- Add second part of cooking oil and mushrooms to heated oil. Saute mushrooms until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the tofu back to the pan along with stir-fry sauce. Simmer until sauce thickens and coats tofu and mushrooms, ~2 minutes more. (If doubled, remember to reserve half the cooked tofu and mushrooms for Wednesday.)
- Whisk dressing and sprinkle green onions over the top.
- Assemble salads by combining lettuce, noodles, cucumbers, carrots, mushrooms and tofu in serving bowls. (If mushrooms and tofu were doubled, remember to save half for Wednesday.) Top with mint and peanuts. Pour dressing over salad just before serving and toss well. Enjoy!
I took a few liberties with the recipe and still enjoyed it. My rice noodles were expired *gasp* so I subbed linguine noodles which worked surprisingly well. I used half of the amount of fish sauce and loved the dressing. In the future I'll make less marinade, I only needed 70% of it.0 Helpful
This was a surprise hit with my kids! I thought salad would make my toddler spaz, but he cleaned out his bowl and asked for more! Healthy and delicious!0 Helpful
The chicken was great. I would have liked it more if the salad and chicken and noodles were separate, I think.0 Helpful
Perfect summer meal. I substituted a little oil and coconut aminos for the fish sauce. Making a second recipe for lunch tomorrow!0 Helpful
Great! Didn't use all of the dressing and I think I would want to ease up on the fish sauce by maybe 1/2 Tbsp if I make this again.0 Helpful