Basil Chicken with Marinara
and Italian tossed salad
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 1/4 tsp
- Tomato paste - 4 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 1/2 cup (sub water)
- Zucchini - 1/2 lb, chopped
- Chicken thighs, bone-in & skin on - 1 1/2 lbs
- Basil, fresh - 10 leaves, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Spicy marinara sauce (ingredients listed separately) - ~3/4 cup
- Tomatoes, medium (sub half a cup cherry or grape tomatoes for each medium tomato) - 1, diced
- Celery - 1 stalk, chopped
- Lettuce, romaine (sub green leaf or iceberg) - 2 hearts, chopped
- Black olives, sliced (2.25 oz / 63 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 2 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 1/4 tsp
- Pepitas / pumpkin seeds - 1/3 cup
- Make sauce - Chop garlic. Heat a saucepan over medium heat. Add olive oil and when hot, add garlic, red pepper flakes and oregano and saute until fragrant, ~1 minute. Stir in tomato paste and stock and simmer until thickens slightly, ~1 minute. Add more stock if needed to reach a smooth, spreadable consistency. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Zucchini - Chop zucchini. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Chicken - Pat dry and season with salt and pepper.
- Basil / Tomatoes / Celery / Lettuce - Prep as directed.
- Olives - Drain and rinse.
- Heat a skillet or frying pan with first part of cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and sear until both sides are deep golden brown, ~3 minutes on each side. Set chicken aside and return pan to heat.
- Add second part of cooking oil and then zucchini to heated oil. Saute until zucchini is tender and golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Add sauce and basil and stir to combine. Nestle chicken, skin-side up, in sauce and cover with a lid or foil. Reduce heat to medium and cook until chicken is cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes.
- While chicken cooks, whisk together olive oil, vinegar and oregano. Toss dressing with lettuce, olives, tomatoes, cucumbers and pepitas.
- Serve chicken with salad on the side and enjoy!
made this with trader joes cauliflower crust. next time will make with whole wheat pizza dough, but the sauce was yummy! didn't make the salad, made our own usual salad instead0 Helpful
We added spinach and olives to the pizza and skipped the salad.0 Helpful
Made with breasts instead of thighs. Made the marinara extra spicy and it was quite good. Filling -- didn't miss the pasta.0 Helpful
Use quality pre made pizza dough or make it from scratch.0 Helpful
Sauce was nasty and the pizza would have tasted better with dough from scratch.0 Helpful
Used pre made crust0 Helpful