Mixed Vegetable Hoagie Melts
and German potato salad
Loaded with veggies and with a Mediterranean twist from olives and artichoke hearts, these hoagie melts just need a couple minutes under the broiler to get melty and delicious. Serve the hoagies with a German-style potato salad that is great warm or chilled.
Mixed Vegetable Hoagies with Cheese:
- Bell peppers, red - 1 , sliced
- Onions - 1 , sliced
- Artichoke hearts, frozen or canned - 6 oz , chopped
- Black olives, sliced (2.25 oz / 63 g) - 1 can
- Zucchini - 1 lb , sliced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Hoagie buns (sub hot dog buns) - 4
- Mayonnaise - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Cheese, any mild sliced deli cheese like provolone or swiss - 4 slices
German Potato Salad:
- Potatoes, baby red (sub new potatoes) - 1 lb , scrubbed
- Celery - 1 stalk , diced
- Shallots - 1 clove , chopped
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, apple cider - 2 tsp
- Mustard, use large grain mustard if you have it (sub Dijon) - 1 tsp
- Sugar - 1/2 tsp
- Bell peppers / Onions / Artichoke hearts / Olives - (If prepping right before cooking, get potatoes boiling before continuing with prep.) Prep as directed. Combine onions and peppers in one container. Combine artichoke hearts and olives in another. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Boil potatoes - Bring a large stock pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and reduce heat to a low simmer. Simmer, covered, until potatoes are fork-tender, 15 to 20 minutes (depending on the size of potatoes). Drain and rinse under cool water. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Celery / Shallots - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make potato salad - Quarter boiled potatoes. Combine with celery, shallots, olive oil, vinegar, mustard and sugar. Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Zucchini - Slice zucchini into rounds. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Turn on the oven's broiler and line a sheet pan with foil.
- Heat a large skillet or frying pan with the first part of cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add zucchini slices in a single layer (do this in batches if needed) and sear until golden brown, ~3 minutes on each side. Set aside and return pan to heat. Add second part of cooking oil and then peppers and onions to heated oil. Saute until tender, ~4 minutes.
- Add artichoke hearts and olives to pan and saute until heated through. Add zucchini back to pan and toss everything to combine. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Place hoagie buns, cut-side up on prepared sheet pan. Toast under broiler just until buns are beginning to turn golden brown, ~1 minute. (This will help prevent them from turning soggy when topped with vegetables.)
- Remove from oven and brush hoagies with mayonnaise and mustard. Top with cooked vegetables and finish with sliced cheese.
- Return pan to oven and broil just until cheese melts, ~2 minutes more.
- Serve hoagies with potato salad on the side and enjoy!