Avocado and White Bean Lettuce Cups
with tomato / mozzarella / basil salad
This white bean and avocado salad makes a great filling for sandwiches, but we love the fresh crunch you get when serving it in lettuce cups. Serve this light main dish with a classic summer side dish of tomato, mozzarella and basil.
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1/3 cup (any inexpensive brand)
- Celery - 2 stalks, diced
- Onions - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Avocados - 1, chopped
- Beans, cannellini or butter (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Lettuce, romaine (sub green leaf or iceberg) - 8 leaves
- Almonds, sliced - 1/4 cup
- Cheese, fresh mozzarella - 4 oz, sliced
- Tomatoes, medium (sub half a cup cherry or grape tomatoes for each medium tomato) - 2, wedges
- Basil, fresh - 10 leaves
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Make balsamic reduction - (If not already made from Monday’s meal.) Simmer balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan until it reduces by at least half and thickens to the texture of syrup. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Celery / Onions - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Avocados / Beans - Prep as directed.
- Make lettuce cup filling - Combine avocado and beans with celery, onions, olive oil (the portion for the lettuce cups) mustard and lemon juice. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Mozzarella / Tomatoes / Basil / Lettuce - Prep as directed.
- Combine mozzarella, tomatoes, basil and olive oil (the portion for the salad). Season with some salt and pepper and transfer to a serving plate. Drizzle with balsamic reduction.
- Assemble lettuce cups by filling lettuce leaves with white bean / avocado mixture and topping them with almond slices for crunch.
- Enjoy lettuce cups with tomato salad on the side.
Normally my husband hates mayonnaise based salads. But he liked this! I preferred it to standard chicken salad. Added extra celery for crunch.0 Helpful
Yummy and simple chicken salad. I ended up using 3 celery stalks and 1/2 onion and mayo. 4-yr-old liked it.0 Helpful
Portions are small do 3 servings for 2 ppl0 Helpful
Wasn't bad, but not as exciting as other meals.0 Helpful
My lettuce leaves weren't really wide enough to make effective lettuce cups, so I used them as a bed for the chicken salad.0 Helpful
Skipped the lettuce cups and just ate everything with a fork. Two salads, one meal.0 Helpful