Chicken Salad Lettuce Cups
with tomato / avocado / basil salad
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1/3 cup (any inexpensive brand)
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless (sub rotisserie chicken) - 1 1/2 lbs
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Celery - 1 stalk , diced
- Onions - 1 Tbsp , chopped
- Mayonnaise, paleo-friendly - 2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Lettuce, romaine (sub green leaf or iceberg) - 8 leaves
- Almonds, sliced - 1/4 cup
- Avocados - 1 , sliced
- Tomatoes, medium (sub half a cup cherry or grape tomatoes for each medium tomato) - 2 , wedges
- Basil, fresh - 10 leaves
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
Make balsamic reduction - (If not already made from Monday’s meal.) Simmer balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan until it reduces by at least half and thickens to the texture of syrup. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Cook chicken - (Skip if using rotisserie chicken.) Season chicken with some salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. Heat a skillet with cooking oil over medium heat. Add chicken to heated oil and cook on both sides until cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes on each side. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
Make chicken salad - Chop chicken. Combine with celery, onions, mayonnaise, mustard and lemon juice. Season with some salt and pepper. Taste and adjust to your flavor preferences - adding more mayo if you like it more creamy, more lemon juice if you like it more tart, etc. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
Combine avocados, tomatoes, basil and olive oil. Season with some salt and pepper and transfer to a serving plate. Drizzle with balsamic reduction.
Assemble lettuce cups by filling lettuce leaves with chicken salad and topping them with almond slices for crunch.
Enjoy lettuce cups with tomato salad on the side.