Balsamic Flank Steak
with peach and arugula salad / balsamic reduction
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1/3 cup (any inexpensive brand)
- Garlic - 3 cloves, peeled and crushed
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 Tbsp (any inexpensive brand)
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 1 Tbsp
- Italian seasonings - 1/2 tsp
- Steak, flank, sirloin or skirt - 1 1/2 lb
- Foil - for cooking
- Peaches - 3, sliced
- Arugula - 8 oz
- Almonds, sliced - 1/2 cup
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Marinate steak - Crush garlic cloves with the palm of your hand and remove peel (no need to chop). Combine garlic with balsamic vinegar (the portion for the steak), cooking oil, aminos and Italian seasonings. Tenderize steak with a fork and pour marinade over top. Let steak marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 days. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Make balsamic reduction - Double if making Tuesday’s meal. Simmer balsamic vinegar (the portion for the reduction) in a small saucepan, swirling the pan occasionally to prevent burning, until it reduces by roughly half, 5 to 6 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Peaches - Slice peaches.
- If making steak on grill: Heat grill to 500F / 260C degrees. Clean grates and brush with some oil. Remove steak from marinade (discard marinade) and season generously with some salt and pepper. Place steak over direct heat. Sear steak for ~4 minutes on each side with the cover closed. Move steak to indirect heat and cook until it reaches desired level of doneness. Medium-rare: 130F / 54C degrees (~3 minutes); Medium: 140F / 60C degrees (~6 minutes); Well-done: 160F / 71C degrees (~10 minutes).
- If making steak on stovetop: Remove steak from marinade (discard marinade) and season generously with some salt and pepper. Heat grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Brush with some cooking oil. Place steak onto hot pan. Sear steak for ~4 minutes on each side. Lower heat to medium, cover with foil, and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes for medium-rare; another 4 to 7 minutes for medium; 8 to 10 minutes for well-done.
- Remove steak from heat, cover in foil and let rest for at least 10 minutes before slicing across the grain (i.e. perpendicular to the fibers).
- While steak cooks, toss arugula with peach slices, almonds and olive oil.
- Drizzle balsamic reduction (remember to save half the reduction if you doubled for Tuesday) over both steak and salad. Enjoy!
Really good. We had guests and they also remarked that the steak was very tasty. Salad was just right for the heavier meat.0 Helpful
Excellent marinade -- definitely do overnight! Add extra garlic. We used an espresso balsamic that was delightful.0 Helpful
The prep was both easy and fun. My 8 and 6 y/o daughters helped and that's what made it fun. The meal itself, after being put together on the plate, was fantastic. We will be making this one again soon!0 Helpful
Would have been a lot better with less vinegar.0 Helpful
this was delicious. we LOVED it. We didn't put peaches in the salad but did add just a bit of blue cheese SO GOOD0 Helpful
This was really good, but I wish I had used a different cut of meat. I used flank steak and it was very chewy/tough but the flavors were excellent and I loved the sauce.0 Helpful