Balsamic Flank Steak
with peach and arugula salad / balsamic reduction
Sweet and tart notes of balsamic vinegar infuse big flavor into these marinated steaks. Get even more of that bright flavor by making a quick balsamic reduction to serve over the steak and a fresh salad with peaches and arugula.
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1/3 cup (any inexpensive brand)
Balsamic Flank Steak:
- Garlic - 3 cloves , peeled and crushed
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 Tbsp (any inexpensive brand)
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Sugar, brown - 1/2 tsp
- Italian seasoning - 1/2 tsp
- Steak, flank, sirloin or skirt - 1 1/2 lb
- Foil - for cooking
Peach, Arugula, and Almond Salad:
- Peaches - 3 , sliced
- Arugula - 8 oz
- Almonds, sliced - 1/2 cup
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Marinate steak - Crush garlic cloves with the palm of your hand and remove peel (no need to chop). Combine garlic with balsamic vinegar (the portion for the steak), cooking oil, soy sauce, brown sugar and Italian seasonings. Tenderize steak with a fork and pour marinade over top. Let steak marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 days. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Make balsamic reduction - Double if making Tuesday’s meal. Simmer balsamic vinegar (the portion for the reduction) in a small saucepan, swirling the pan occasionally to prevent burning, until it reduces by roughly half, 5 to 6 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Peaches - Slice peaches.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- If making steak on grill: Heat grill to 500F / 260C degrees. Clean grates and brush with some oil. Remove steak from marinade (discard marinade) and season generously with some salt and pepper. Place steak over direct heat. Sear steak for ~4 minutes on each side with the cover closed. Move steak to indirect heat and cook until it reaches desired level of doneness. Medium-rare: 130F / 54C degrees (~3 minutes); Medium: 140F / 60C degrees (~6 minutes); Well-done: 160F / 71C degrees (~10 minutes).
- If making steak on stovetop: Remove steak from marinade (discard marinade) and season generously with some salt and pepper. Heat grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Brush with some cooking oil. Place steak onto hot pan. Sear steak for ~4 minutes on each side. Lower heat to medium, cover with foil, and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes for medium-rare; another 4 to 7 minutes for medium; 8 to 10 minutes for well-done.
- Remove steak from heat, cover in foil and let rest for at least 10 minutes before slicing across the grain (i.e. perpendicular to the fibers).
- While steak cooks, toss arugula with peach slices, almonds and olive oil.
- Drizzle balsamic reduction (remember to save half the reduction if you doubled for Tuesday) over both steak and salad. Enjoy!