with sweet potatoes / pinto beans / bell peppers / avocados / eggs
Mexican Hash with Fried Eggs:
- Potatoes, sweet - 1 1/2 lbs , cubed
- Bell peppers, red - 1/2 , diced
- Onions, medium - 1/2 , chopped
- Green onions - 3 stalks , chopped, white and green parts separate
- Beans, pinto (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Avocado - 1 , sliced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1 tsp
- Coriander, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Limes - 1/2 , juice of
- Eggs - 4
- Hot sauce (opt) - 2 tsp
- Sweet potatoes / Bell peppers / Onions - Prep as directed. Store sweet potatoes in one container and combine bell peppers and onions in another. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Green onions - Chop green onions. Add white parts to bell peppers and onions (from prep step 1). Store green parts separate. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Pre-cook potatoes - Place sweet potatoes in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with wet paper towel and microwave on high until tender, ~5 minutes. (You can also boil the potatoes in a stockpot of water until tender, 8 to 10 minutes.) (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Beans / Avocados - Prep as directed.
- Heat a large skillet with the first part of oil over high heat. Add potatoes to heated oil and saute until outsides are golden brown and crisp, 4 to 5 minutes. (A golden crust on the potatoes will add great flavor to the finished dish.) Set potatoes aside and return skillet to heat.
- To heated skillet, add second part of oil and then bell peppers, onions and white parts of green onions. Saute until vegetables are soft, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add paprika and coriander and saute until fragrant, ~1 minute more.
- Reduce heat to low-medium. Add potatoes back to the pan with beans and continue cooking until beans are heated through.
- While hash finishes cooking, place a nonstick pan over medium heat and add third part of oil. Crack eggs into oil and fry to desired done-ness (cook on one side for sunny-side up or flip and cook on both sides).
- Squeeze lime juice over hash and season with some salt and pepper.
- Top hash with avocado slices and fried eggs. Add green parts of green onions and hot sauce (if you’d like) and enjoy!