Zucchini Cake Sandwiches
with chili lime sauce / summer salad
Zucchini Cake Sandwiches:
- Zucchini - 1 lb , grated
- Onion, small - 1/2 , chopped
- Mayonnaise - 3 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Eggs - 1
- Panko breadcrumbs - 1 cup
- Flour, all-purpose - 1/4 cup
- Lettuce, romaine - 1 heart , leaves torn
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Hamburger buns - 4
- Chili lime sauce (ingredients listed separately) - ~1/2 cup
Chili Lime Sauce:
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/2 cup
- Mayonnaise (opt) - 1 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1/2 tsp
- Limes - 1 , zest of
- Sriracha (sub hot sauce of choice) - 1/2 tsp
Summer Salad with Cucumber, Tomato and Lime:
- Lettuce, romaine - 2 hearts , chopped
- Cucumbers, medium - 1 , diced
- Tomatoes, medium - 1 , diced
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Zucchini - Grate zucchini. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and place in a mesh strainer over a mixing bowl. Let rest at room temperature for 30 minutes or refrigerate overnight to allow excess liquid to strain out. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Onions - Chop onions. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make chili lime sauce - Combine yogurt, mayonnaise, soy sauce, lime zest and Sriracha. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make zucchini cakes - Combine mayonnaise, mustard (the portion for zucchini) and egg. Add zucchini, onions and panko. Season with some salt and pepper. Toss gently until mixture is evenly combined. If mixture is too wet to stick together, add more panko. Form into 3/4" / 1.9 cm thick patties. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Lettuce (for both the sandwiches and salad) / Cucumbers / Tomatoes - Prep as directed.
- Rub both sides of zucchini cakes with flour.
- Heat a frying pan or oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then zucchini cakes to heated oil. Cook until heated through and golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- While zucchini cakes cook, make salad dressing by combining vinegar, mustard (the portion for the salad) and honey. Add olive oil while whisking. Just before serving toss lettuce (the portion for the salad), cucumbers and tomatoes in salad dressing.
- Toast hamburger buns.
- Assemble sandwiches by topping hamburger buns with chili lime sauce, zucchini cakes and lettuce leaves (for the sandwiches).
- Serve sandwiches with salad on the side and enjoy!