Crab Cake Sandwiches
with chili lime sauce / summer salad
Smarts: If you prefer not to use crab, then chopped, peeled and deveined shrimp makes a great substitute. Just add a minute or two to cooking time.
- Mayonnaise - 3 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Worcestershire sauce (opt) - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Eggs - 1
- Crab meat, jumbo lump (sub peeled and deveined shrimp, chopped) - 10 oz
- Panko breadcrumbs - 1/4 cup
- Lettuce, romaine - 1 heart, leaves torn
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Hamburger buns - 4
- Chili lime sauce (ingredients listed separately) - ~1/2 cup
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/2 cup
- Mayonnaise (opt) - 1 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1/2 tsp
- Limes - 1, zest of
- Sriracha (sub hot sauce of choice) - 1/2 tsp
- Lettuce, romaine - 2 hearts, chopped
- Cucumbers, medium - 1, diced
- Tomatoes, medium - 1, diced
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Make chili lime sauce - Combine yogurt, mayonnaise, soy sauce, lime zest and Sriracha. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make crab cakes - Combine mayonnaise, mustard (the portion for the crab), Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper and egg and whisk until smooth. Add crab and panko and toss gently until mixture is even. If the mixture is too wet to stick together, add more panko. Form into 3/4" / 1.9 cm thick patties. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Lettuce (for both the sandwiches and salad) / Cucumbers / Tomatoes - Prep as directed.
- Heat a frying pan or oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then crab cakes to heated oil. Cook until heated through and golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- While crab cakes cook, make salad dressing by combining vinegar, mustard (the portion for the crab) and honey. Add olive oil while whisking. Just before serving toss lettuce (the portion for the salad), cucumbers and tomatoes in salad dressing.
- Toast hamburger buns.
- Assemble sandwiches by topping hamburger buns with chili lime sauce, crab cakes and lettuce leaves (for the sandwiches).
- Serve sandwiches with salad on the side and enjoy!
Added a bit of chopped celery for crunch and sliced scallions for flavor. Made the crab cakes gluten free with almond flour.1 Helpful
These were really good. I made the patties slightly smaller and took them to a party. I took none home. They were really good!0 Helpful
I should have chopped the imitation crab (used for price reasons) into much smaller bits. I also had to triple the amount of panko and they still fell apart. It was only okay, but one family member thought they were amazing0 Helpful
So good! The sauce was great and the crab cakes were delicious. Restaurant quality. Husband and I made these for an at home date night.0 Helpful
Hubby and son gobbled these up. Said it was restaurant quality!0 Helpful
We enjoyed this meal, my husband thought the lime zest was a bit overpowering in the sauce but I enjoyed the strong zesty taste. I will make this again, I’m hoping to get the crab cake a bit more crispy next time.0 Helpful
The Chili Lime Sauce is amazing0 Helpful