Crab Cake Sandwiches
with chili lime sauce / summer salad
We like to let the main ingredient shine in these crab cake sandwiches with simple toppings and a chili lime sauce to add a bit of punchy flavor.
Smarts: If you prefer not to use crab, then chopped, peeled and deveined shrimp makes a great substitute. Just add a minute or two to cooking time.
- Mayonnaise - 3 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Worcestershire sauce (opt) - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Eggs - 1
- Crab meat, jumbo lump (sub peeled and deveined shrimp, chopped) - 10 oz
- Panko breadcrumbs - 1/4 cup
- Lettuce, romaine - 1 heart, leaves torn
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Hamburger buns - 4
- Chili lime sauce (ingredients listed separately) - ~1/2 cup
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/2 cup
- Mayonnaise (opt) - 1 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1/2 tsp
- Limes - 1, zest of
- Sriracha (sub hot sauce of choice) - 1/2 tsp
- Lettuce, romaine - 2 hearts, chopped
- Cucumbers, medium - 1, diced
- Tomatoes, medium - 1, diced
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Make chili lime sauce - Combine yogurt, mayonnaise, soy sauce, lime zest and Sriracha. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make crab cakes - Combine mayonnaise, mustard (the portion for the crab), Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper and egg and whisk until smooth. Add crab and panko and toss gently until mixture is even. If the mixture is too wet to stick together, add more panko. Form into 3/4" / 1.9 cm thick patties. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Lettuce (for both the sandwiches and salad) / Cucumbers / Tomatoes - Prep as directed.
- Heat a frying pan or oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then crab cakes to heated oil. Cook until heated through and golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- While crab cakes cook, make salad dressing by combining vinegar, mustard (the portion for the crab) and honey. Add olive oil while whisking. Just before serving toss lettuce (the portion for the salad), cucumbers and tomatoes in salad dressing.
- Toast hamburger buns.
- Assemble sandwiches by topping hamburger buns with chili lime sauce, crab cakes and lettuce leaves (for the sandwiches).
- Serve sandwiches with salad on the side and enjoy!
Hubby and son gobbled these up. Said it was restaurant quality!0 Helpful
We enjoyed this meal, my husband thought the lime zest was a bit overpowering in the sauce but I enjoyed the strong zesty taste. I will make this again, I’m hoping to get the crab cake a bit more crispy next time.0 Helpful
The Chili Lime Sauce is amazing0 Helpful
Really delicious! I bought the crabmeat that came as a mixture of claw, lump, jumbo lump etc, that was supposedly the best for crab cakes. The texture turned out great! Everything stayed together and formed a nice crust when cooking in the skillet.0 Helpful
This was okay. I guess I am a bit picky about crabcakes and thought they were kind of a pain to make. Mine fell apart.0 Helpful
The crab cakes were just not good. I think it was our fault, we made them too big and so they didn't crisp up like they should have, but I definitely would not repeat this meal.0 Helpful