Marinated Mushroom Cobb Salad
with avocados / tomato / corn / eggs / cheese
- Mushrooms, any button - 12 oz, quartered
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Italian seasonings - 1 tsp
- Eggs - 4
- Lettuce, romaine - 2 heads, chopped
- Tomatoes, medium - 1, chopped
- Avocados - 1, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Corn, frozen - 3/4 cup
- Cheese, any shredded blend - 1/2 cup
- Chives - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Sour cream (sub plain yogurt) - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1/4 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1/4 tsp
- Marinate mushrooms - Quarter mushrooms. Combine with olive oil (the portion for the mushrooms), balsamic vinegar and Italian seasonings. Marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to 1 day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make hardboiled eggs - Cover eggs with cold water in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil and then turn off heat. Put a lid on the pan and let eggs sit in hot water for 12 minutes. Rinse under cold water for easier peeling. Roll egg against a hard, flat surface to break up shell, and then peel. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make dressing - Chop chives. Combine with sour cream, olive oil (the portion for dressing), lemon juice, honey and garlic powder. Add a splash of water if needed to make dressing smooth and pourable. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Lettuce / Tomatoes - Prep as directed. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Avocados - Chop avocados.
- Eggs - Chop hardboiled eggs.
- Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and mushrooms to heated oil. Saute until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add corn and saute just until corn is heated through.
- Assemble salads by topping lettuce with mushrooms, corn, eggs, tomatoes, avocados and cheese. Top with dressing and serve!
Everything went well, and tasted delicious, except that I didn’t read down to the part about browning the corn in the bacon grease. I had to use a microwave container made for bacon because of space and time, although I like that Cooksmart indicates what can be done ahead. I liked the lightness of the dressing, but I would almost double the dressing amount for my crowd, even though I used good mixed greens which have strong flavors on their own that I wouldn’t want to drown.0 Helpful
Great and easy salad. I made the Paleo dressing for a lighter touch. Very good!0 Helpful
Dressing was ok. Added blue cheese.0 Helpful
Used chicken instead of shrimp, but MAN this was good with fresh bacon and egg. Never liked a cobb salad this much!0 Helpful
Fried shrimp in bacon grease, and added fresh ground salt and pepper0 Helpful
My husband and I enjoy this salad a lot and have made it several times for dinner.0 Helpful