Shrimp Cobb Salad
with avocados / tomato / bacon / corn / eggs
Smarts: We've provided instructions for cooking your shrimp in a grill basket which gives the salad extra smoky flavor if you're in the mood to fire up the grill.
- Shrimp - 1 lb, peeled and deveined
- Eggs - 4
- Lettuce, romaine - 2 heads, chopped
- Tomatoes, medium - 1, chopped
- Avocados - 1, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Bacon - 4 slices
- Corn, frozen - 3/4 cup
- Chives - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Sour cream (sub plain yogurt) - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1/4 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1/4 tsp
- Shrimp - Defrost, rinse, and pat dry. (Can be done up 1 day ahead)
- Make hardboiled eggs - Cover eggs with cold water in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil and then turn off heat. Put a lid on the pan and let eggs sit in hot water for 12 minutes. Rinse under cold water for easier peeling. Roll egg against a hard, flat surface to break up shell, and then peel. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make dressing - Chop chives. Combine with sour cream, olive oil, lemon juice, honey and garlic powder. Add a splash of water if needed to make dressing smooth and pourable. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Lettuce / Tomatoes - Prep as directed. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Avocados - Chop avocados.
- Eggs - Chop hardboiled eggs.
- If cooking on grill: Heat grill to 450F / 232C degrees. Rub a grill pan with cooking oil and place over hottest part of grill. Season shrimp with salt and pepper. Add shrimp to grill pan and cook, stirring every few minutes, until cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes.
- If cooking on stove: Season shrimp with salt and pepper. Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and shrimp to heated oil. Saute until shrimp are cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes.
- While shrimp cooks, heat a skillet or over medium heat. Cook bacon until crisp, about 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Transfer to a cutting board. Drain excess cooking grease from pan, so that about 1 Tbsp / 15 mL remains in pan. Add corn to hot pan and cook in bacon grease until beginning to brown in spots, 2 to 3 minutes.
- When bacon is cool enough to handle, crumble or chop with a knife.
- Assemble salads by topping lettuce with shrimp, eggs, corn, bacon, tomatoes and avocados. Top with dressing and serve!
Everything went well, and tasted delicious, except that I didn’t read down to the part about browning the corn in the bacon grease. I had to use a microwave container made for bacon because of space and time, although I like that Cooksmart indicates what can be done ahead. I liked the lightness of the dressing, but I would almost double the dressing amount for my crowd, even though I used good mixed greens which have strong flavors on their own that I wouldn’t want to drown.0 Helpful
Great and easy salad. I made the Paleo dressing for a lighter touch. Very good!0 Helpful
Dressing was ok. Added blue cheese.0 Helpful
Used chicken instead of shrimp, but MAN this was good with fresh bacon and egg. Never liked a cobb salad this much!0 Helpful
Fried shrimp in bacon grease, and added fresh ground salt and pepper0 Helpful
My husband and I enjoy this salad a lot and have made it several times for dinner.0 Helpful