Ginger Lemongrass Chicken
with cauliflower rice / sesame green beans
Ginger and lemongrass make a fresh, tart combination found in many Southeast Asian dishes. Use them to add bold flavor to this quick stir-fry. (Don't worry if you can't find lemongrass - the dish works great even without it.)
- Cauliflower - 2 heads, florets chopped
- Butter - 3 Tbsp
- Garlic - 1 clove, chopped
- Ginger, fresh - 1 Tbsp, grated
- Lemongrass (opt) - 2 stalks, grated
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1/2, finely chopped
- Water - 3 Tbsp
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 3 Tbsp
- Chicken breast, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Limes - 1/2, juice of
- Green beans - 1 lb, ends trimmed
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Sesame seeds, white - 2 tsp
- Cauliflower rice - This makes enough for 2 nights. Pulse florets in a food processor until broken up into ‘rice’-sized bits. Cook rice in one of two ways: 1) Microwave for 4 to 5 minutes and then fold in butter. Season with salt and pepper; or 2) Heat a pan over medium-high heat and add butter. Saute cauliflower in heated butter for ~5 minutes, until tender but still crunchy. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Watch this video for the full how-to on cauliflower rice. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Garlic / Ginger / Lemongrass / Jalapenos - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make sauce - Combine water and aminos. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Pre-cook beans - Place green beans into a microwave-safe container. Sprinkle with some salt, cover with a damp paper towel, and microwave until tender, 2 to 2 1/2 minutes. Alternatively, boil beans in a large stock pot of salted water until tender, ~5 minutes. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Chicken - Chop chicken into ¾” / 1.9cm cubes and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add first part of cooking oil and then chicken to heated oil. Toss until golden brown on all sides and cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from wok and set aside.
- Add second part of cooking oil and then garlic, ginger, lemongrass and jalapenos. Saute until fragrant and lightly browned, ~2 minutes. Add sauce and bring to a simmer. Simmer until mixture thickens slightly, ~1 minute. Add chicken back to pan and toss to coat. Transfer chicken to a serving platter. Wipe out wok and return pan to heat.
- Add green beans, sesame oil and sesame seeds and saute just to heat beans through.
- If made ahead, reheat cauliflower rice briefly in the microwave. (If doubled, remember to save half for Thursday.)
- Serve chicken over cauliflower rice with green beans on the side. Squeeze lime juice over the top of the chicken and beans. Enjoy!
Forgot the lime, great simple meal0 Helpful
Too salty. I don't know if I overdosed the soy sauce but it was salty.0 Helpful
Next time will double the sauce. Boiled the green beans instead of sautéing.0 Helpful
Used sugar snap peas instead of green beans. Overall good.0 Helpful
I added a zucchini to the green beans, and it was a HUGE plate. For 400 calories?!?!? Amazing.0 Helpful
Easy to make and tasty. Loved the string beans. A little salty although I used low sodium soy sauce. Forget the lemongrass, took too long to grate. I always do more meat and double the sauce for my family since my teenager and husband are big eaters. We also like leftovers.0 Helpful