Ginger Lemongrass Chickenwith rice / sesame green beans
Ginger and lemongrass make a fresh, tart combination found in many Southeast Asian dishes. Use them to add bold flavor to this quick stir-fry. (Don't worry if you can't find lemongrass - the dish works great even without it.)
- Rice, uncooked white or brown - 3/4 cup
- Garlic - 1 clove, chopped
- Ginger, fresh - 1 Tbsp, grated
- Lemongrass (opt) - 2 stalks, grated
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1/2, finely chopped
- Water - 3 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 3 Tbsp
- Fish sauce (opt) - 1 tsp
- Sugar - 2 tsp
- Cornstarch - 1/2 tsp
- Chicken breast, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Limes - 1/2, juice of
- Green beans - 1 lb, ends trimmed
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Sesame seeds, white - 2 tsp
- Cook rice - Double if making Thursday’s meal. For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Garlic / Ginger / Lemongrass / Jalapenos - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make sauce - Combine water, soy sauce, fish sauce, sugar and cornstarch. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Pre-cook beans - Place green beans into a microwave-safe container. Sprinkle with some salt, cover with a damp paper towel, and microwave until tender, 2 to 2 1/2 minutes. Alternatively, boil beans in a large stock pot of salted water until tender, ~5 minutes. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Chicken - Chop chicken into ¾” / 1.9cm cubes and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add first part of cooking oil and then chicken to heated oil. Toss until golden brown on all sides and cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from wok and set aside.
- Add second part of cooking oil and then garlic, ginger, lemongrass and jalapenos. Saute until fragrant and lightly browned, ~2 minutes. Add sauce and bring to a simmer. Simmer until mixture thickens slightly, ~1 minute. Add chicken back to pan and toss to coat. Transfer chicken to a serving platter. Wipe out wok and return pan to heat.
- Add green beans, sesame oil and sesame seeds and saute just to heat beans through.
- If rice was made ahead and refrigerated, reheat it briefly in the microwave or in a saute pan with some oil over medium heat just to take the chill off. (If doubled, remember to save half the rice for Thursday.)
- Serve chicken over rice with green beans on the side. Squeeze lime juice over the top of the chicken and beans. Enjoy!
This meal has 61 reviews
Too salty. I don't know if I overdosed the soy sauce but it was salty.
Next time will double the sauce. Boiled the green beans instead of sautéing.
Used sugar snap peas instead of green beans. Overall good.
I added a zucchini to the green beans, and it was a HUGE plate. For 400 calories?!?!? Amazing.
Easy to make and tasty. Loved the string beans. A little salty although I used low sodium soy sauce. Forget the lemongrass, took too long to grate. I always do more meat and double the sauce for my family since my teenager and husband are big eaters. We also like leftovers.
I used thighs with bone and next time I think that I would prefer it in smaller pieces to absorb the flavors