Southwestern Spice Rub Chicken
with mango salsa / garden salad
Grilled chicken is synonymous with summer, and it doesn't get much easier than this version which can be made with just about any cut of chicken and a quick spice rub. Add fresh mango salsa and a garden salad for a classic summer dinner.
- Coriander, ground - 1 tsp
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Cumin, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Chili powder - 1/4 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Chicken drumsticks, bone-in and skin on (sub bone-in thighs or even use boneless skinless chicken breast tenders) - 1 1/2 lbs
- Mango, frozen or fresh (sub pineapple) - 1 1/2 cups , chopped
- Jalapenos - 1/2 , chopped
- Cilantro - 2 Tbsp , chopped
- Lime juice - 1 tsp
- Onions, red - 1/2 , thinly sliced
- Tomatoes, roma - 4 , diced
- Cucumbers, medium - 1 , chopped
- Avocados - 1 , chopped
- Lettuce, romaine (sub butterhead) - 2 hearts , chopped
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Italian seasonings - 1/2 tsp
Spice mix - Combine coriander, paprika, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Chicken - Rub on all sides with spice mix. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Avocados / Lettuce - Prep as directed.
If cooking on grill: Heat grill to 450F / 232C degrees. Clean grates and brush with cooking oil. Grill, turning every few minutes, until chicken is cooked through, 25 to 30 minutes for bone-in drumsticks (15 to 20 minutes for bone-in thighs, 8 to 10 minutes for tenders).
If cooking in oven: Heat oven to 375F / 191C degrees. Brush a sheet pan with cooking oil. Place chicken on pan and roast until chicken is cooked through, 40 to 45 minutes for bone-in drumsticks (20 to 25 minutes for bone-in thighs, 14 to 16 minutes for tenders).
While chicken cooks, whisk together olive oil, vinegar and Italian seasonings. Toss with lettuce, onions, tomatoes, avocados and cucumbers just before serving.
Serve grilled chicken with mango salsa on top. Enjoy with garden salad on the side.