with vinegar-herb potatoes / garden salad
Saucy barbecue chicken is synonymous with summer, and it doesn't get much easier than this version which can be made using just about any cut of chicken and your favorite barbecue sauce. Add vinegar potato salad and a garden salad for a classic summer dinner.
- Chicken drumsticks, bone-in and skin on (sub bone-in thighs or even use boneless skinless chicken breast tenders) - 1 1/2 lbs
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Barbecue sauce (use your favorite brand), plus extra for serving - 6 Tbsp
- Potatoes, baby red (sub new potatoes) - 1 lb , scrubbed
- Cilantro - 2 Tbsp , chopped
- Dill, fresh (opt) - 1 Tbsp , chopped
- Oil, olive - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Sugar - 1/4 tsp
- Onions, red - 1/2 , thinly sliced
- Tomatoes, roma - 4 , diced
- Cucumbers, medium - 1 , chopped
- Lettuce, romaine (sub butterhead) - 2 hearts , chopped
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Mayonnaise (sub plain Greek yogurt) - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Italian seasonings - 1/2 tsp
Boil potatoes - Bring a large stock pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and reduce heat to a low simmer. Simmer, covered, until potatoes are fork-tender, 15 to 20 minutes (depending on the size of potatoes). Drain and rinse under cool water. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
Make potato salad - Quarter boiled potatoes. Chop cilantro and dill. Combine potatoes, cilantro, dill, olive oil (the portion for the potatoes), vinegar and sugar. Season with some salt and pepper. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and preferably overnight. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Chicken - Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
Lettuce - Chop lettuce.
If cooking on grill: Heat grill to 450F / 232C degrees. Clean grates and brush with cooking oil. Grill, turning every few minutes, until chicken is cooked through, 25 to 30 minutes for bone-in drumsticks (15 to 20 minutes for bone-in thighs, 8 to 10 minutes for tenders). During the last few minutes of cooking, generously brush chicken on all sides with barbecue sauce, repeating several times.
If cooking in oven: Heat oven to 375F / 191C degrees. Brush a sheet pan with cooking oil. Toss chicken in barbecue sauce and place on pan. Roast until chicken is cooked through, 40 to 45 minutes for bone-in drumsticks (20 to 25 minutes for bone-in thighs, 14 to 16 minutes for tenders).
While chicken cooks, whisk together olive oil (the portion for the salad), mayonnaise, vinegar and Italian seasonings. Toss with lettuce, onions, tomatoes and cucumbers just before serving.
Serve barbecue chicken with chilled potatoes and garden salad. Serve with extra barbecue sauce on the side for dipping. Enjoy!