Pork and Sweet Potato Panang Curry
with chilled cucumbers / cashews / shallots
Sweet, savory and a bit spicy, Panang curry is a great clean-out-the-fridge recipe. Use the vegetables listed or any other combination. Just don't forget to finish with a squeeze of fresh lime that brightens the whole dish.
Smarts: Panang curry paste has a unique flavor thanks to the addition of citrusy kaffir lime leaf, but red curry paste (or even yellow or green) will work great in this recipe.
- Zucchini, medium - 1 , cubed
- Sweet potatoes - 1 lb , cubed
- Bell peppers, any color - 1 , sliced
- Pork loin or tenderloin - 1 lb , cubed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Coconut milk, light - 1/2 cup
- Fish sauce (sub Bragg's / coconut aminos) - 1 Tbsp
- Curry paste, panang (sub red) - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 1/2 cup
- Limes - 1/2 , juice of
- Cucumbers, medium - 2 , sliced
- Shallots - 2 cloves , sliced
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 2 tsp
- Honey (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Cilantro - 2 Tbsp , chopped
- Cashews, roasted and unsalted - 1/4 cup
Cucumbers / Shallots - Slice cucumbers and shallots. Combine with olive oil, vinegar and honey (if using). Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 1 day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Pork - Chop pork into ¾” / 1.9cm cubes. Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
Heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add first part of cooking oil and then pork to heated oil. Saute until golden brown on the outside, 3 to 4 minutes (it will finish cooking in the curry). Transfer to a large bowl and return wok to heat.
Add second part of cooking oil and potatoes, bell peppers and zucchini to heated oil. Saute until peppers are tender and potatoes are beginning to brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to bowl with pork and return wok to heat.
To heated wok, add coconut milk and bring to a simmer. Whisk in curry paste until evenly combined. Add fish sauce and stock and bring to a simmer. Add pork and vegetables back to the wok and toss to combine. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until sweet potatoes are tender and sauce thickens.
While curry simmers, add cilantro and cashews to chilled cucumbers. Taste and season with some salt and pepper.
When curry is finished, remove from heat and add lime juice. Taste and add fish sauce if you’d like it more salty or more curry paste if you'd like it more spicy.
Ladle curry into bowls and serve with cucumbers on the side. Enjoy!