Tilapia Sandwiches with Cucumbers
and dill mayo / grilled asparagus
- Lemons - 1, thinly sliced
- Tilapia (sub any white fish, like flounder or halibut) - 1 lb
- Cumin, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Cucumbers, medium - 1, thinly sliced
- Hamburger buns - 4
- Garlic - 1 clove, chopped
- Dill, fresh - 1/2 tsp, chopped
- Mayonnaise (sub plain Greek yogurt) - 6 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1/2 tsp
- Asparagus - 1 lb, trimmed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Asparagus / Lemons (for the tilapia) - Prep as directed and store in separate containers. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Make dill mayonnaise - Chop garlic and dill. Combine with mayonnaise, lemon juice and mustard. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Tilapia - Tear out 1 sheet of foil per serving about 18" (45 cm) wide. Rinse and dry fish and cut into pieces for the number of servings you are making. Place tilapia pieces on each sheet of foil. Season with cumin and some salt and pepper. Dot the top of tilapia with pieces of butter and then add lemon slices. Fold foil over and crimp edges to enclose fish. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Cucumbers - Slice cucumbers.
- If cooking on grill: Heat grill to 450F / 232C degrees. Clean grates and brush grates and asparagus with cooking oil. Season asparagus with some salt and pepper. Place tilapia packets on grill and cook with the cover closed until fish is tender and easily flakes with a fork, 10 to 12 minutes. After a few minutes, place asparagus directly on grates and grill until tender, 2 to 3 minutes on each side. In the last minute of cooking, place hamburger buns, cut-side down, on grates and toast.
- If cooking in oven: Heat oven to 425F / 218C degrees. Arrange tilapia packets on a sheet pan so that none are overlapping. Toss asparagus with cooking oil and season with some salt and pepper. If there is room on the sheet pan, add asparagus to open space (or use a second sheet pan). Bake tilapia and asparagus until asparagus is tender and tilapia easily flakes with a fork, 10 to 12 minutes. Toast hamburger buns.
- Discard lemon from tilapia packets.
- Top hamburger buns with dill mayonnaise, cucumber slices and tilapia. Squeeze lemon juice over asparagus and serve alongside sandwiches. Enjoy!
I cooked the asparagus longer than recommended and it browned. It was delicious! I've never had it like that before.0 Helpful
Tilapia came out really well. Just cut up the lettuce and made a salad. Omitted dill.0 Helpful
Just Terrific0 Helpful
So easy and delicious. Made this for guests and it was a hit!0 Helpful
Loved these! I added ~1Tbs (+) oat flour as the mixture seemed to wet without it. I also added cumin, paprika and chile powder, probably about 3/4 tsp each. I used the recipe for 4 people but ended up with 6 burgers so I guess I made them a bit smaller and flatter than normal however they seemed perfect! I also cooked them much longer than 5 minutes on each side. I didn't make the sauce or side.0 Helpful
Excellent! Great flavor and easy.0 Helpful