Tex-Mex Bean Soup
with tortilla chips / sour cream / avocado
With fajita-flavors serving as inspiration for this vegetarian soup, be sure to dress up each bowl with avocado, sour cream, green onions and fresh lime juice. Tortilla chips provide a satisfying crunch served on the side or crumbled over the top!
Tex-Mex Bean Soup:
- Onions, small - 1 , chopped
- Carrots, medium - 2 , chopped
- Cumin, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1/2 tsp
- Green onions - 2 stalks , chopped, white and green parts separated
- Limes - 1 , wedges
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 387 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Beans, pinto (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Avocados - 1 , cubed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Stock, any variety - 3 cups
- Tomatoes, diced and preferably fire-roasted (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can
- Corn, frozen - 1 cup
- Sour cream, for serving (sub plain yogurt) - 4 Tbsp
- Tortilla chips - 2 cups
- Onions / Carrots - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Spice mix - Combine cumin, coriander and paprika. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Green onions / Limes - Store white and green parts of green onions separately. Keep lime wedges separate. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Beans (both types) - Drain and rinse.
- Avocados - Chop avocados.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then white parts of green onions to heated oil. Once you can smell the white parts of green onions, add in onions and carrots with some salt. Saute ~5 minutes or until carrots are tender. Add spice mix and saute until spices are fragrant, ~2 minutes more.
- Add stock and tomatoes (including liquid). Bring to a simmer and continue cooking for 5 minutes to let the flavors come together.
- Optional step: For a smooth, creamy base, blend stock with an immersion blender.
- Add corn and both types of beans and continue simmering until heated through. Taste and season with some salt and pepper and a squeeze of fresh lime juice.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top with sour cream, avocados and green parts of green onions. Serve with tortilla chips and extra lime wedges on the side and enjoy!