with zucchini noodles / tomatoes
Romesco is a Spanish red sauce with roasted tomatoes, garlic and red peppers. Nuts make it a rich, protein-packed staple that can be stored in the fridge for up to a week. There are so many ways to use it, but tossing it with shrimp is a classic choice. Serve this saucy dish over zucchini noodles for a quick, healthy meal.
- Garlic - 3 cloves, peeled
- Tomatoes, roma - 1/2 lb, quartered
- Almonds, blanched - 1/4 cup
- Oil, cooking - 2 tsp
- Red pepper (from a jar of roasted red peppers) - 2
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/8 tsp
- Vinegar, red wine - 2 tsp
- Shrimp, peeled and deveined - 1 1/2 lbs, defrosted
- Tomatoes, cherry or grape - 1 cup, halved
- Lemons - 1, wedges
- Zucchini - 1 lb, spiralized, sliced into strips with a peeler, or sliced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Romesco sauce (ingredients listed separately) - ~1 1/2 cups
- Make Romesco sauce - Double if making Wednesday's meal. Heat oven to 375F / 191C. Line a sheet pan with foil. Peel garlic. Quarter tomatoes (just the portion for the sauce). Toss garlic, tomatoes and almonds with cooking oil (the portion for the sauce) and some salt and pepper. Place on sheet pan and roast, shaking the pan halfway through cooking, until garlic and almonds are golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Combine roasted garlic, tomatoes and almonds with roasted red pepper, olive oil, red pepper flakes and red wine vinegar. Blend until smooth and creamy. Add a splash of water or a bit more olive oil if the sauce is too thick. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper, if needed. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Shrimp - Defrost, rinse, and pat dry. Sprinkle with some salt and pepper.
- Tomatoes (for the pasta) / Lemons - Prep as directed and store in separate containers. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Zucchini - Turn zucchini into 'noodles' with a spiralizer or peel off strips with a peeler. (Note: If you prefer, you can also just slice your zucchini to make a zucchini saute)
- Heat a saute pan over medium-high heat with first part of cooking oil. Add zucchini to heated oil and saute until tender, 1 to 2 minutes for zucchini noodles and 3 to 4 minutes for zucchini ribbons or slices. Transfer to a serving plate and return pan to heat.
- Add second part of oil and then shrimp and tomatoes to heated oil. Saute until shrimp is beginning to turn pink on the outside (but not cooked through). Add Romesco sauce (remember to save half if doubled for Wednesday night's meal). Saute until sauce begins to bubble, ~2 minutes. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Serve shrimp and sauce over zucchini noodles. Add lemon wedges on the side to squeeze over the finished dish. Enjoy!
Really liked the romesco sauce as pasta sauce! Used paleo pasta, subbed chicken for shrimp, and no cheese.0 Helpful
Made this with leftover angel hair and green beans. Made the sauce the night before and it was super easy to prep the night of. DH loved it!0 Helpful
Excellent sauce!0 Helpful
This sauce is just delicious. I used chicken and penne instead of shrimp.0 Helpful
I loved the romesco sauce so much better on the pasta than on the steak. Very good.0 Helpful
Great meal!0 Helpful